Saturday, May 21, 2011

Shackleford Wins Preakness

The bright chestnut Shackleford held off hard-charging Animal Kingdom to win today's Preakness by 3/4 length. Flashpoint, the Florida-bred grey, and Shackleford fought for the lead through the first half-mile. Flashpoint used himself up in the speed duel and finished last, but Shackleford was able to dig a little deeper and hold off the pressing Animal Kingdom. Astrology, a son of A.P. Indy, finished third, with Nick Zito-trained Dialed In in fourth place. Dance City, the Virginia-bred got up for fifth place to take the last of the purse money. My other picks finished in 7th, 10th, and 12th places - not a record to be proud of. The order of finish, after Dance City, was: Mucho Macho Man, King Congie, Mr. Commons, Isn't He Perfect, Concealed Identity, Norman Asbjornson, Sway Away, Midnight Interlude, and Flashpoint. As soon as he appeared on the track for the post parade, I scratched my pick of Sway Away - he was just too nervous and washy. And I have to admit that Shackleford had me worried - but I remembered that he frequently "got hot" before other races.... For a $2 bet, Shackleford paid $27.20 to win; Animal Kingdom paid $4.20 to place; and Astrology paid $8.00 to show. The $2 Exacta paid $114.80; the Trifecta paid $1,401.80; and the Superfecta paid $6,212.60. The 1 mile and 3/16ths was run in 1 minute and 56.47 seconds. Shackleford's sire is Forestry, his grandsires are Storm Cat and Unbridled.
... Nedi caught another young sparrow this morning. He brought it in to me alive and unharmed. I took it back outside, checked it over, and gave it a few minutes to calm down while cupped in my hands. I then released it into an aspen, and after a few seconds, it flew away. I wonder what kind of tale that little bird will tell its' family?

No comments: