Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Books, Wildfires and Critters

It was 83 degrees at this time yesterday; it's now 55 degrees.  The kits are having a ball running in and out of the patio door, as it's not started to rain yet (as forecast) - even Mocha is going out onto the patio and playing in the grass.  Remy and Rosie went to see the groomers this morning, so I slept in.  Yes, Lovey actually let me sleep in until after 8 this morning.  She and Nedi were curled up in bed with me for most of the night, and I guess they were comfortable enough not to stir.  I got up, fed the kits, let them out, showered, dressed, and then went to the bank and the library, once I had re-secured the kits inside.  I found a new author that looks interesting - Rory Clements.  His first book is titled Martyr, and his second is RevengerMartyr, his first book, won the CWA Ellis Peters Historical Crime Award - both books are set in Tudor England.  I'm looking forward to reading his books!

One of my favorite writers is William Kent Krueger, who has a mystery series with Cork O'Connor as the part Native American protagonist; the series is set in Minnesota and usually incorporates part of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.  I hadn't realized that a wildfire has been raging in the BWCAW area since August 18th.  The fire is still uncontrolled, and has burnt over 100,000 acres - or 156 square miles.  I have never been privileged to visit the Great Lakes region, but I feel awe for the Wilderness as Krueger describes it.  It is heart-breaking to realize that drought and lightning strikes are causing so much fire damage across our country.  We had a small wildfire start  Monday afternoon near the (abandoned) Blue Jay mine, close to Jamestown.  It's 95% contained, and firefighters and and rangers are hoping that today's (forecasted) rain will put it out completely.

It's cool and overcast out, and I just had to laugh, because even though the patio door is wide open, Lovey is asleep in her black chair, Nedi is asleep on the top of the cat tree, and Mocha is stretched out asleep on the sofa.  I'm the only thing awake in the apartment - other than the PC.  I guess I should spend the afternoon getting my fall wardrobe out, and seeing what needs to be washed again because I packed it up in a wrinkled state....  Supposedly, our high temperature tomorrow will be 65, and then it will range back into the 70s for the weekend.  -  Thank goodness the CU-CSU football  game will take place in Denver on Saturday, and not here in Boulder.  I'll be staying with Maggie May for the weekend, but at least I won't have to fight game-day traffic to see my kits and get back to Maggs.

No comments: