Thursday, September 15, 2011

Microchipping

Well, the rain began around 7:30 last night - and it's grey and overcast this morning.  Both yesterday and today, the Flatirons are being hugged by low-level clouds, and one can't even see the top of Mount Sanitas.  I've been enjoying my time playing with the kits and giving them extra love - they are sweet things, if occasionally demanding.  Tomorrow is brother-in-law Jim's birthday, and I need to check with Kathy to see if there is anything planned for supper, or to celebrate.  I have a card and a gift-card for him.  I can drop them off tomorrow, when I walk the Rs, or I can give it to him if we go out to eat.  We'll see....   Nedi and Lovey are crouched about 4 feet apart, and are glaring at each other.  I don't know what they are up to.  Mocha is on the sofa, as usual.

Willow is a calico cat that was adopted from the Humane Society by a family in Broomfield 7 years ago.  Five years ago, during some remodeling of the house, Willow disappeared.  It was assumed that one of the contractors had let her out, and Broomfield was plastered with "Missing Cat" posters.  As you know, we do have predators out here - coyotes, cougars, dogs, motorized vehicles, etc.  After a year had gone by, the family gave up hope of getting Willow back.  This week, five years after her disappearance, Willow has shown up in Manhattan, down town New York City.  She was identified by her microchip, and her family here in Colorado was notified.  She'll be back home soon - even though her family has now moved to Boulder.  One of my friends doesn't like microchipping animals - she says it's like putting bar codes on humans - but my feeling is that microchipping allows some very happy reunions - and I'm definitely for it!  (And all of the Chincoteague ponies are microchipped for security and breeding purposes.)

No comments: