Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A Rant

I've returned from walking Remy and Rosie; Nedi and Lovey are sunning on the patio.  It was 17 degrees when I walked to the grocery store this morning, but it's up to 30 now.  I have the patio door cracked, and I'm working at my desk wearing jeans and a T-shirt.  My hair is slowly drying after being totally soaked with sweat from wearing my cap while walking the dogs.  I was due to spend the night with Lucy and Pepper tonight, out at Brigadoon, but that was canceled at 8:30 this morning.  At least I get to watch NCIS at home...

I'll wrap gifts and package them this afternoon and send them out tomorrow.  I still need to figure out something to give my nephew.  Everyone else is taken care of; so far, so good. ....   Earlier this morning, three men mounted on horses, rode into the Starbucks store located inside a Safeway grocery store in Steamboat Springs, over on the western slope.  The men wore jeans, boots, plaid western-style shirts and cowboy hats.  They each purchased coffee, and one also purchased a large bag of chips; and they paid cash.  The Safeway manager was not amused, and the Starbucks employee appeared to be frightened of the horses (a man caught it on video on his cell phone).  The men later rode into a pub in the downtown area, refused to leave, and the police were called.  One of the men was Tasered and fell from his mount when he refused to respond to a policeman's orders.  All three are currently in jail.

I know that I'm getting older every day.  I try not to be a total cynic, but it seems that I am becoming a bigger one with each day.  I have learned to hold my tongue out in public, but I am still greatly vexed by things that I see and hear daily.  I don't think that I'm a "grumpy old woman," but sometimes I have to wonder.  I don't see the time of my childhood as a golden age; nor any time of my life as a golden age.  But I am dismayed by the way the world seems to be headed. I'm not sure what dismays me most -  lack of respect for elders, or of anyone, by todays' youth;  what is now called music; the proliferation of so-called reality shows (that have absolutely NO basis in reality); and the fact that computers and microwave ovens, etc. were supposed to give the general population "more leisure time," but seem to be running our lives now.  I hate being run into by kids and adults who are too busy texting to look where they are going.  I hate talking to someone, face to face, and have them walk away and ignore me if their cell phone rings/sings/raps/or makes an obnoxious noise.  I hate having a personal one-on-one conversation with someone and being put on hold because that person has call waiting.  This is just downright RUDE.  .....  Maybe my folks were right and I should have been born in an earlier time - when one depended on oneself, a horse, family, friends and neighbors......

No comments: