Friday, December 30, 2011

Regular Stuff ... And a Wish

So Samoa "skipped back" across the International Date Line, and instead of being today there, it's now tomorrow.  Sound confusing?  When the IDL was set up, Samoa's biggest trading partners were in California and along the west coast of the US; they are now Australia, New Zealand, and Japan...  so the people there voted to skip a day and now have the same date as the Far East and Down Under, rather than the west of the USA.  ....  I stepped out to grab the mail while at Rosie and Remy's yesterday, and I had to laugh.  Nancy and Joel have described to me how Remy turns over the bar chairs and dining room table chairs when they are afraid during thunderstorms.  A few seconds after I stepped outside yesterday, I heard this tremendous banging sound - so I snuck through the back gate and was able to watch both Rosie and Remy happily turning all the chairs over. They weren't afraid - they were upset because I had left them!  (Just wait 'til I tell their family!)
We are supposed to have a quiet day today - with a light breeze and a high around 50.  Yesterday, we ended up with a wind gust of 83 mph here in Boulder, and 102 mph in Pinecliffe, which is 15 miles to the southwest and back in the mountains.  We're expecting the wind to pick up again tonight, and we have another High Wind Warning set up for all day tomorrow, with gusts expected up to 75 mph.  A lot of limbs have come down around the city - and at Finn's, a large branch is hanging on another limb in the "no mans land" between the house to the north and the Snitmans'.
I will probably be too busy to blog the next two days, so please don't expect anything until Monday.  Kathy and Jim will start bringing things over to Finn's tonight, and Kathy plans on doing it through Saturday afternoon.  I told her about the Home and Garden Channel's broadcast of the Parade of Roses on Sunday morning that is shown without commercials, and shows every float, band, and group participating in the Pasadena parade.  Thanks to my friend Mary, I know that this year's Parade will include a salute to Roy Rogers (Leonard Slye), and will include a group of 100 people riding golden palominos down Pasadena Boulevard.  I'm looking forward to seeing a good part of the parade!
In case I don't blog tomorrow, I wish each and every one of you a very wonderful New Year, filled with love, luck and laughter and filled with friends and family!

No comments: