Saturday, July 21, 2012

Media Overkill (I Hate That Last Word)

The shooting rampage at the movie theater in Aurora, Colorado is news.  It is big news - locally, nationally, and world-wide.  I understand that it is the largest shooting incident in our history, other than in a battle of war.  I understand that there are "news junkies" who are interested in every last detail that can be openly presented about the time, the place, the victims, the survivors, and the perpetrator.  But having around-the-clock live coverage on all of the local TV channels is just over-kill, in my opinion.  I am lucky, in that I have a satellite dish, and I can watch movie channels and documentary channels - but if you have only an antenna here in Colorado, you only receive local channels and one or two PBS stations.  On the local channels, all I could find last night was news about the Batman movie shootings.  It was horrific; it was terribly sad; it was/is an inexplicable loss of innocent life.  But I feel that we need to move on, instead of wallowing in the aftermath.  I hope that our local stations will return to their normal programming soon - for the young kids, if for no one else!

No comments: