Saturday, July 14, 2012

Stuff

So many things on my schedule - At least I haven't over-booked myself in terms of pet-care!  This weekend, there is a sale of draft horses, driving mules and carriages; next weekend is the Colorado Queen City Horse Show, at the National Western Stock Show buildings, to showcase gaited horses in the state.  The 25th, 26th and 27th are Chincoteague Pony Penning Days, and the opening ceremony for the Summer Olympics takes place on Friday night, the 27th.  In the Olympics, I'll naturally be rooting for the US teams, but there are a few folks from other countries that have also caught my eye and my heart.
  Currently, other than being dry, we have no immediate worries in Boulder.  It's 64 degrees outside, with 25% humidity, and a very light breeze coming from the west-northwest.  There's a chance of rain this afternoon, which all of us would welcome.  Nedi is outside, lying beside the fence, in hopes of chasing a squirrel; Lovey is here, on the corner of my desk, with her hind feet pressed against the back and wrist of my left hand.  (Nedi just came in, completely wrapped in cobwebs - I wonder where the little wretch has been?)  I am half-way through my last library book, so I'll probably be headed there to day or tomorrow for a new batch to read.  -   The vets at Pet Menders told Nancy to keep Ramsah at 11 pounds - yesterday she had lost a half-pound, so I don't think her prognosis is a good one.
   In the past two weeks, we have lost iconic celebrities that I grew up watching on TV and in the movies - Andy Griffith and Ernest Borgnine.  It doesn't seem possible that those two "old friends" are gone.  And I was horrified to note that yesterday was Patrick Stewart's 72nd birthday, and Harrison Ford's 70th.  - I know I'm growing older, but, dang it all, my movie heroes are supposed to stay young forever!  And that always makes me think of a time in the mid-1990s, when Mom looked at me during a showing of She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, and said she wondered what John Wayne "looks like now?"  I told her, "Pretty bad, Mom, he's been dead almost 20 years...."  and we both laughed.  It's not funny any more.

No comments: