Friday, July 27, 2012

Olympic Opening Ceremonies (& More Horses!)

I am still riding high, wide, and beautiful from the wonderful 87th Annual Chincoteague Pony Penning.  I am in good spirits, and my kits have been having a blast with me at home.  I started house-sitting this morning for Rosie and Remy; and tomorrow evening will move in with Brandi for a week; and I'll be caring for Peach tomorrow and Sunday, so I'll be running about like a maniac for two days (and missing Lovey and Nedi terribly). 
  I am looking forward to seeing the Olympics Opening Ceremonies tonight - they start at 6:30 p.m. MDT on the local NBC station.  And, of course, I'll be most interested in the Equestrian competitions taking place at Greenwich Park.  (The Park venue is being guarded by a British Navy warship in the Thames.)  Hopefully, the planned scheduling of the horse-related events will happen as scheduled - even though most of it takes place in the early morning in the U. S.  If you'd like more information on the United States Equestrian Team, on the competitions that will occur, or just to check the times of viewing in your area, please visit:  http://www.nbcolympics.com/equestrian/index.html
I'm interested in all of the phases and stages of the equestrian tests - the Dressage, the Stadium Jumping (Grand Prix Jumping), the Three Day Eventing, and the Pentathlon. 
  Horses used for Eventing always amaze me - they are usually playful, but calm, in the barn - but talk about being energized!  These horses seem to almost jump out of their own skins once a saddle and rider is upon their backs.  Eventing used to be the way that Army Cavalry horses were chosen - they had to be well-trained enough to perform a dressage test, had to have the power and endurance to jump the Cross-Country course, and then had to be tractable enough to perform the stadium jumping, where the slightest touch will bring down an obstacle.  It's grueling for both horses and riders - and I salute each and every horse and rider - from each and every country they represent - because I am aware of how much training and intensive work must be put into each and every mount.  Blessings to all of the horses and riders!

No comments: