Sunday, August 26, 2012

Bicycle Racing, Football, a Fight, and a Wedding

I was able to watch the last few miles of the US Pro Cycling Challenge on the NBC Sports channel yesterday, as it wound through Boulder and then up Flagstaff Mountain.  It was nice that a locally-based rider won yesterday's stage - but I was appalled to see the way that the cyclist had to, sometimes, fend off well-wishers on the way to the finish line.  And I was also amazed at the clothing, or the lack of it, among some of the spectators, too.   -  I mean, really, running up the side of the road on Flagstaff wearing nothing but a Speedo bathing suit and flip-flops - it was a horrendous sight! 
  I was also able to watch both the Redskins and the Saints win their pre-season games yesterday, and hope to do the same today watching the Broncos, and then the Jets.  I've already taken care of Ooch and the Thore girls - and was bemused by the "Wedding ---->" signs in the neighborhood, until I realized that it was Alexy Pendle's son's nuptials.  Alexy had frightened me the other day, by climbing 10 feet up a ladder and hanging lights in a tree.  The trouble was, she stepped on one side of the ladder, and it tipped, leaving her hanging by her arms from a tree limb, and directly over a concrete walk.  (Believe me, concrete does not respect your bones when you are over 50 years old!)  I heard an odd sound from the back of her house, jogged back there, and was able to retrieve the ladder so she could safely descend.  We both needed a cuppa to calm our nerves...
  And I don't know if I should be classified as a good or a bad neighbor, after I called 911 to report a "domestic disturbance" in the apartment two door down, and one story up, from me.  She was yelling and cursing to beat the band, hallway and patio doors were slamming, there were several "thunks" and "thuds" against the walls, and since I couldn't hear my TV (which I had turned up to the max to drown out the live rock band playing next door) due to her screaming and yelling, I called the police.  Apparently others in the building had called, too, so I don't really feel too badly about it...
  Hope your last Sunday in August (this year) is a great day!

No comments: