Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Poor New Orleans!

Hurricane Isaac seems to be following the same path that Hurricane Katrina did.  While not as powerful as Katrina, Isaac is moving very slowly, and the problem with him will be rising waters, storm surge and flooding rain, not to mention the continuous wind.  At least the state had good warning this time.  At least FEMA, the US government, and the state and local governments had lots of warning.  At least it was announced that there would be no evacuation centers of last resort, like the Convention Center and the Super Dome.  It just doesn't seem fair that the city is getting smacked again, seven years to the day that Katrina brought such ruin.
  It's currently 82 degrees here in Boulder, the sky is mostly overcast, there is quite a breeze blowing about 20 to 30 feet above the ground, and we have 30% humidity.  Walking the red kids this morning seemed a breeze, but I was covered with sweat by the time we finished - and my hair is still soaked with sweat, almost an hour later.  I let the kits run outside for 90 minutes this morning, before I left to walk the dogs, and I opened the patio door as soon as I got back.  Nedi has popped in and out, but Lovey is staying in the cat tree.  (At least Katrina's legacy to me was the gift of Lovey in my life!)
  I had to take a dose of meclizine this morning - with three minutes left in the Jets game Sunday night, I broke out into a cold sweat, was nauseated, and couldn't get my eyes to focus.  I was terribly dizzy, and couldn't walk, even to bed, without having something to hold onto, to keep me erect. When I was in bed, I turned my head to the left, and lost the world in a vortex of vertigo.  I was able to function yesterday with meds, but this morning, I kept making mis-steps, so I finally medicated myself before heading out for the always rambunctious Irish Setters.  With the constant sound of the wind in the tree leaves outside, I'm having a hard time keeping myself "feeling steady"  right now.  Mom used to have the same problem, so at least I know it's not something personal!

No comments: