Saturday, November 17, 2012

My Little Newsletter

A couple of years ago, when a coyote pack invaded the north Boulder neighborhood where I do most of my work, I started a tiny newsletter called Githens Acres Wildlife Watch. About 18 people expressed interest in receiving it - I just passed on news about who had spotted coyotes, when, and where they seemed to be heading. (There are 45 homes in the neighborhood.) Then we started having the mountain lions making kills in the neighborhood back yards. Now it's the killer black bear. In the past three days, my little neighborhood newsletter has jumped to over 100 subscribers... I know why there is the increase, but it just seems strange to me - especially since I live 3 miles to the south across from the CU football stadium. But I do spend a lot of time there; this week I'll be there 21 out of every 24 hours, and I'll be walking dogs and talking to neighbors, as usual. I think what really strikes me funny is that folks that live at an extreme distance from the neighborhood want to have the news and updates. I know for a fact that the mountain lions and bears have a wide range - but it seems odd that other neighborhoods haven't put together a newsletter resource on the appearance and limited tracking of the wildlife that causes a disturbance.
  Anyway... I'm staying with Tessa, Lily, and Dhisana at the moment; doing extra care for Rosie and Remy; feeding and medicating Ooch (the 22-year-old cat); and on Wednesday, I add feeding and medicating Sasquatch and Tugger to my list. That's not to mention coming home and spending 3 hours with Lovey and Nedi each day. Both kits are lying in the sun right now - Nedi is stretched out on the edge of the patio and Lovey is in the cat tree in the sun. Earlier this week, I cut one of my large pumpkins in half and placed it on the patio - every day I add unsalted peanuts and shredded wheat to the interiors, and the squirrels can have their choice of nut, grain, or veggie to eat. Nedi is currently lying between the two pumpkin halves, and is keeping a close eye on the squirrels - but he's not chasing them away, he's just watching them eat. Lovey is just soaking up sun rays, period.
  The UF - Jacksonville State game isn't going to be televised here, but I'll watch the South Carolina game. The CU Buffs have a home game today - the town is packed with fans, and I'll need to leave the apartment soon to get away from the crowd. Poor Buffs! I think they have one win so far this year... Tomorrow at 5, I'm having tea with my friends Alexy and Lillian, so I'll miss the end of the Broncos game, but one of the local stations will re-play the game, so I can see if I've missed anything. I need to see when the Jets are playing tomorrow - I think I'll be switching back and forth between the Redskins and Jets earlier in the day here....

No comments: