Friday, November 30, 2012

Remy

The ravens are having a good time chasing Nedi around the back yard this morning, talking away while they do so. Lovey is sitting between me and the monitor, as usual - and typing around a warm, moving body doesn't really get easier; she likes to plant either a foot or the base of her tail on a key, or on the mouse, which wreaks havoc on my text. It feels chilly out, as it's 40 degrees and we have 38% humidity. I've got a load of laundry in the washing machine, and I've been to the grocery store and purchased what the kitties need for the weekend. Monday afternoon I get to meet my new psychiatrist; and I'm nervous. I've had Dr. Shapiro for 9 years of care, and I'm so used to his easy smile, fuzzy beard, and laid-back attitude. I have no idea what this new doc will be like. All I know is her name is Cindy....
  We are still suffering from the drought, and we have a high winds watch posted for today through Sunday - officials are worried about wild fires. Several small wildfires have broken out in the past few weeks, and have been brought under control quickly. However, the Fern Lake fire in Rocky Mountain National Park is still burning, and has now burned over 2 square miles within the Park.
Poor Remy. The nerve-disconnect in his lower spine seems to be worsening each day. He doesn't appear to be in any pain, but his hind legs just don't support him very well, and he is having trouble going up and down the stairs in his home. Recently, I've only been walking him about one block, over to Kathy and Jim's house, where I release him in the back yard, and then play toss and chase with Rosie (and Mona and Boo) for 45 minutes before we walk back. Remy usually lies down for half of the visit in the Snow yard; the other half, he walks and trots, and even runs around. On the way home, though, his hind legs usually can't support him at all, and my left arm becomes his lift and support mechanism, using the Blue Dog "Help 'Em Up" harness. Holding up, or supporting, Remy's hind end in a padded sling, he can walk all the way home on his own 4 feet. He is so sad-looking when his legs give way - he knows something isn't right, and he looks at you with such a silent, deep embarrassment and apology in his eyes, that it's heart-breaking.
  The main problem is that Rosie isn't having any physical problems. She is full of energy and continuously wants to be on the move. And they have always been together. It's very difficult to walk Rosie without Remy. I was able to do so yesterday because he was having acupuncture - and Rosie and I flew around the neighborhood at a good jog. When Remy is with us, we are relegated to his much slower pace - and Rosie loses her patience and pulls like mad. Remy's family is thinking about getting a large wagon, so he can roll alongside Rosie - but he won't be able to sniff the scents on the ground, so I don't know if that will work. The other option is the doggie wheelchair - but I think the family is trying to avoid that right now.
  The main thing, though, is that Remy is bright-eyed and eager to go out for his walks with me every morning - he eats and drinks well, he is cognizant of his surroundings - but his hind end just doesn't work correctly. We'll keep working with him as long as possible, trying to keep him up on his own feet. I promise.

No comments: