Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Shame on the NY Jets Locker Room!

I'm a fan of Tim Tebow. I have liked and respected the young man since he first came to my attention when he began to play for the Gators at the University of Florida. I like his work ethic and I like his honesty. I am a little uneasy with his extremely open Christian worship, but he is the son of a missionary, and he does not try to convert one to his viewpoints overtly. He states his beliefs and that's that. A lot of the success of the Gators football team, during Tebow's years, was accorded to him. He has a great sense of team work; has always encouraged and led others to do their best. In all of my reading about him, he has seemed to be motivated by being told he can't do something - and that something was to play the quarterback position on a high school team, on a rated college team, and as a professional football player. Coaches have complained about his throwing mechanics, and he has worked hard on "getting the kinks out of his throwing technique" for years. The coaches have had no need to say a word about his camaraderie, his team spirit, his work ethic, or his drive to succeed.
  From what I understand, he has never done extremely well in team practices - his throws are off, with a tendency to be under- or over-thrown. But once it's a game day, he has always performed at his best. He has always given his best, tried hard to win, and was not ashamed to cry in public when he lost. He has no hidden agenda. He wants to be a good man, a good Christian, and a good football player. Since he has a contract with a professional football team, and has conducted himself with grace and discretion in interviews, I feel that he has succeeded so far. He stepped into a void with the Denver Broncos, and was able to take the team to the AFL Divisional playoffs during the second half of a season. Broncos fans were feeling pretty happy with Tim Tebow as the quarterback. John Elway said that Tebow was the Broncos' quarterback. - Then Peyton Manning became available and Tebow was tossed about like a hot potato. It was a sad and upsetting experience as a fan, and one can only imagine how Tebow felt.
  I was amazed when I read the ESPN and Sports Illustrated web sites today and saw the swipes that were being taken at Tebow by team mates who wanted to remain anonymous. The first phrase to cross my mind was: "Man up!" If one is going to state to the world-wide press that one thinks another player, a team mate, is "terrible" then that one person should allow his name to be used in the quote. That is just plain bad sportsmanship. If I felt that strongly about a team mate, I would allow my name to be used. Rex Ryan, the head coach of the New York Jets, wanted Tebow to use in his Wildcat formation, and any other way he could use him. Tim Tebow has played on the punt return team; he has blocked for ground plays and passes, lining up as a tail back and a wide receiver; he occasionally gets to play the quarterback position. This past Sunday, he completed 3 of 3 passes for positive yards, he handed off the ball for positive yards, and he carried the ball for positive yards. He was usually called in on third down plays, and he converted on each one. Why are the team mates complaining?
  Perhaps because Tim Tebow is one of those polarizing characters that occasionally pop up throughout history - or, recent football history. Steve Spurrier, who also won the Heisman Trophy as a Florida Gator, was and is another such polarizing person. You either love him, or you hate him, period. I have always loved Steve Spurrier, and his zingers against other teams and coaches. I will always like Tim Tebow, unless he suddenly turns into a woman beating, child eating, cold blooded killer. (Somehow, I don't think that will happen.) Because fans like Tim Tebow, and because he has not been allowed to play more than two plays in a row for the Jets, the fans are getting restless. Mark Sanchez, the Jets starting quarterback, has the lowest rating of any quarterback at this time. During last weeks game, Sanchez threw an interception and fumbled and lost the ball - both times the opponents were able to score. The Jets have lost 6 of their 9 games so far this season. Rex Ryan states that Mark Sanchez is the starting quarterback, period. Rex Ryan is the boss, and Tim Tebow is a good soldier.
  What I'm trying to say is that I certainly feel for Tebow. The press in New York likes to stir things up and create drama - it sells their papers. I hope that as Tebow has grown and matured, he has developed the outer skin of a true alligator, like the mascot of his college team. When I read those reports today, I cringed and my stomach churned. I am very disappointed in the "team mates" in the Jets locker room. I thought that once a person was a professionally paid athlete, they were to respect team owners, management, and team mates. Actually, reading that little "expose" made me very angry - and I don't like feeling angry. Since Tim Tebow is willing to work hard, and do whatever the coaches instruct him to do, keep a smile on his face, work as a team member, and be a positive person with the press, shouldn't he receive even a modicum of respect?
  Shame on the New York Jets locker room! Iwill continue to watch the Jets games, but only so I can root for a hard-working young man who is trying his best to live his dream.

No comments: