Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Gray, Damp Wednesday

At least I made one of my regular bus drivers laugh this morning - as I came on, I whispered to him, "My shirt was clean when I put it on this morning.  Now it has muddy pussy prints all over it."  I thought he'd snort his sip of coffee out through his nose.  Then he laughed and thanked me for keeping my voice down...  and a few minutes later added, "You know, you're crazy."  Yep, that's me Crazy Betty (or Betts), the Critter Sitter.  I had put on clean clothes after my morning shower, but Nedi, my little black cat didn't want to come inside this morning when I was ready to leave for work.  I picked him up off damp grass and found he had mud all over his feet - which he promptly placed against my chest and pushed off, only to run ahead of me to the patio door.
  Today is gray and dreary - but not cold; I'm wearing cotton shorts and a T-shirt, and I was very surprised to see people wearing long-sleeved shirts and sweaters out and about around 7 a.m. It's in the mid- to uppers 60s and cloudy, but it's not breezy or cool in the least.  Ah, well...  I took care of Blackberry and Chocolate this morning - let them out of the hutch to run around in their open pen, fed and watered them, cleaned the hutch out, and put in fresh wood shavings for their bed.  Then I lured them back inside the hutch with half of a Gala apple apiece.  Paulina is due home this afternoon, and I know she'll be happy and excited to see the bunnies, but I cringe to imagine her reaction to the fact that Courtney, the goldfish, died while she was away.   After the bunnies, I walked Rosie - and discovered open puddle of still wet blood beside the road and another large smear on the grass.  There was no sign of anything injured  anywhere nearby...  If a critter was killed, I hope it happened fast - and that either a human removed the body, or either a raccoon or coyote was able to remove and consume the remains.
  I re-read Kon-Tiki yesterday, so I'll be headed for the library to get copies of Aku-Aku and The Voyage of the Ra, so I can feel complete.  I also received my autographed copy of Linda Fairstein's new book, Death Angel, yesterday.  And I need to purchase a copy of the sixth book of Michael Scott's series, The Empress, so I can complete that story.  Tomorrow I will get my eyes tested for the first time in nine years - I know I need new glasses, as the lenses of these are terribly scratched up.  I've got a coupon for "buy one pair, get one pair free" and, as klutzy as I am, I figure that's the best way to go....
  Have a good hump day!

No comments: