Sunday, August 18, 2013

Bits and Pieces

I've already "rescued" two birds this morning - Nedi has caught a house finch and a sparrow his morning, frightening, but not injuring either of them.  But he brings them into the apartment and turns them loose again, so he can capture them once more.  I capture them instead, check them over, and if they are uninjured (99% are fine) I turn them loose in the front yard.  Both birds this morning were A-OK, just needed a few moments to regain their calm, and then they flew away.  Of course, Nedi keeps searching the areas where he turned the bird loose, which gets Lovey interested, but they eventually stop looking.
   After feeding and medicating Sasquatch and Tugger yesterday evening, I had supper with Boo, and took her for a short walk.  Then I went over to Rosie's to spend some time with her.  She was sound asleep in the cedar closet when I arrived, but danced and pranced around me going downstairs and into the living room. I made much of her, praising and patting and stroking, but as soon as I sat down on the sofa, she positively stomped her way back upstairs and threw herself down in the cedar closet - talk about an attitude!  After a few minutes had passed, I took her harness and leash upstairs and cajoled her into taking a walk.  We walked back to Boo's, and took her along, too.
  I was disappointed by the Patriots preseason game on Friday night, and I stopped watching the Broncos game at half-time.  The Broncos game was hurtful - seeing Derek Wolfe immobilized and removed from the field in an ambulance, and then watching the Seahawks eat the team alive.  Too many turn overs and too many poor and totally missed tackles.  I was disappointed with the Patriots game, because they chose to take several knees, instead of letting Tebow try to score a touchdown.
  I am a little sore today from my fall yesterday morning, and a have a couple of large bruises, but am otherwise OK.  I figured out that my knuckles (that were raw) had come into contact with a hacksaw blade, so I made certain to clean them thoroughly, and once the skin had dried out, I used embroidery scissors to cut off all the rough pieces of skin and meat.  -  I finished reading The Pyramids of Tucume yesterday morning, and have started on The Ra Expeditions; still waiting for my copy of Aku Aku to arrive.
  I just checked - yesterday was the half-marathon Pikes Peak Ascension race, and today's marathon  started over three hours ago.  Yesterday, in the Ascension race, there were 25 men in Jim's age category (65 to 69 years), and Jim was the oldest, at 69 and 11 months - the next youngest was 67 and 4 months.  Jim finished tenth out of those 25 men - and I believe that only four of them were going to try to run again today in the marathon.  I know that Jim was entered, and started - and I'll be mentally cheering him on today. (The people who run in both the Ascension and Marathon are known as "Doubler"s...)

No comments: