Saturday, August 17, 2013

How Did I End Up...?

I had an enjoyable morning yesterday - loved my kits, walked Rosie, and then had a tour of the production facility where my nephew, Mike, works.  On the way home from there, I developed a splitting headache, which turned into a nasty migraine.   I managed to get over to Redwood and feed and medicate Sasquatch and Tugger, and then I collapsed in my sister's spare bedroom, with Boo for a bedmate.  I guess I was tossing and turning too much, after I let Boo out for her last potty break, because she soon left the bed.  I had very vivid dreams, and finally crawled out of bed at 6:30 to feed Boo her breakfast and let her out.
  First, I let Boo out into the back yard, then I took a quick shower and dressed.  Once I let Boo back inside, I grabbed her dish, as she sat in the middle of the kitchen and gave her, "Ah-oooooo-ooooo-oooo" yodel, and headed for the garage.  There is a door from the kitchen to the garage, followed by 4 steps down, and the garage floor.  Boo's food is kept on the garage floor.  My brother-in-law also likes to keep anything he believes might be useful inside the garage - there's no room for the car, and just enough room for winding trails through all of his stockpiled items.  I have been up and down those four steps thousands of times, but this morning, for whatever reason, I missed the second step - the heel of my left foot caught the edge of the third step, and I flew down.  I remember seeing my arms flail wildly, like windmills, as I tried to keep my balance.  I don't know when I let go of the dog bowl - but there was a tremendous metallic clatter at some point in time.  I kept thinking that I had just got my new glasses, and I really didn't want to fall face first... Somehow I ended up on my left buttock, with my left arm and hand still moving frantically.  This was followed by a large piece of metal falling forward, to slam the back of my head and bounce back; followed by about 5 loops of metal-enclosed hose line that fell around my head like a necklace.  I sat there for a minute and thought.
  My first thought was that I was one clumsy person.  My second thought was that if I'd broken any bones, I'd be mad; followed by the thought that if I had broken anything, I had to get back upstairs and across the kitchen to reach a phone to call for any help.  So I flexed my hands and arms, and then my feet and legs, and then I removed the metal hose length from my neck.  I had trouble getting the metal plate I'd fallen against to lean back into it's original position, but, after pushing at it for a minute or so, was able to get on my knees. Then I spotted Boo's food bowl, off to the left.  I grabbed it, and got to my feet with a groan.  I filled the measuring cup with dog kibble, put it in the bowl, and climbed back up the (entire four) steps.  Boo met me with a howl of delight.  I had her sit, gave her her food, released her, and then went to check on my injuries.
  I've found only bruises and scrapes, and the knuckles on my left hand look like hamburger - but, otherwise I seem to be OK.  I'm starting to get stiff and sore, but that's only natural.  I'll be taking naproxin for the few days, just to ease the aches and pains.  My last thought about this stupid fall?  I was very lucky!!

No comments: