Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Jim's Marathon

Poor Jim!  I reported Sunday that he had finished 10th in his age group (of 25) in Saturday's Pikes Peak Ascension race, a half-marathon.  I had no idea that he was horribly ill Saturday night and Sunday morning, and that an RN told him not to run in the race Sunday.  Jim was committed to running, however, and run he did.  Only ten men in his age group ran in the marathon, and, besides Jim, only one of these men had run the Ascension the day before.  Jim had to stop multiple times to throw-up during his run Sunday.  He finished ninth out of ten -  and the other man who was a Doubler finished only 9 minutes ahead of him in the marathon.  So Jim was second in his age group for the Doubler contestants.  We still don't know what made him so ill.  He was about 90% yesterday, and seems to be fine today.
  Lovey and Nedi were very happy when I returned home yesterday afternoon and had no problems coming inside for the night at 10.  When I was ready to leave this morning, to walk Rosie, and head over to Alexy's, it was another story.  I'd get one of the kits inside, and go out to catch the other.     Once I caught the second kit, I had to open the door to get us both back inside with the first kit.  Whichever kit was inside managed to escape outdoors when I brought the other kit inside.  I felt like I was in a Keystone Kops short film...  I finally managed to carry Lovey in, while keeping Nedi in at the same time.
  Met one of the new bus drivers on my route this morning.  His name is Steve, and he's a third generation Boulderite.  He's driving an RTD bus as a stop-gap measure; he was in advertising, but his company outsourced the entire office to the Philippines, so he's still on the job trail.

No comments: