Thursday, February 6, 2014

Frost On the Inside of My Patio Door

I knew it was cold outside last night, but I must admit I was surprised when I opened the thermal drapes over the patio door and found frost on the inside of the glass.  The glass plate is less than four feet away from the corner of my radiator, and five feet from the foot of my bed...  Hmmmm.  Anyway, it was so cold outside this morning that Nedi, for the first time in his life, did not want to run out the door and onto the patio.  The thermometer said it was -10, and the news person added that the wind chill made it feel like -25.  If I hadn't been wide awake, I could easily have gone back to bed.  Now, at 10:30, we have reached -1 degree... we hit a high of +1 degree yesterday.  This is unusually cold weather for Boulder in February - our normal high temperature is 38.  This is a photo from an outdoor pool yesterday afternoon - it had dropped to -14 that morning....  And, of course, we're expecting more snow this afternoon and evening.
The Winter Games have begun in Sochi, Russia.  I laughed when I read that Shaun White's main competitor in the Slopestyle Snowboarding event  said that Shaun's withdrawal should be counted as a failure on his Olympic record.  Shaun stated that he felt the Slopestyle course was too dangerous, and, after injuring himself in practice, decided to concentrate on winning a three-peat Gold Medal in Halfpipe Snowboarding.  Considering the number of times any athlete falls (and can incur a catastrophic injury), I don't blame White at all... his body has paid the price many times.  I think he's finally reaching maturity.  In case you don't remember, Shaun was known as the "Flying Tomato" in his younger days, before his hair darkened and he decided he didn't like that nickname any longer.
   I am going to have to make a trip to the grocery store again tomorrow - I have plenty of cat food, canned and dry, and plenty of kitty litter; I have extra bird seed, and extra nuts for the squirrels; I have a huge cauldron of homemade marinara sauce simmering away with a large number of homemade meatballs cooking in the sauce, and I have tons of pasta.  But I'm running short on Cheerios, blueberries for waffles and snacks, and - gasp! - Diet Coca-Cola.  The only hot drink that I enjoy these days is cocoa -  Maybe I haven't developed the taste, but hot tea, to me is hot colored water; and coffee is burnt, hot colored water.  While I will drink tea, I won't drink coffee, and I get a lot of strange looks in Colorado.  (But I'm different enough to be used to that!)
  I'll be doing genealogy research today, so I'll watch the Olympics on NBC tonight.    ** Cue the applause for our representative athletes! **

No comments: