Sunday, February 2, 2014

Groundhog Day & Super Bowl Sunday

Punxsutawney Phil, the groundhog in Pennsylvania, saw his shadow this morning, which means six more weeks of winter, instead of an early spring.  I'm not surprised, as I awoke to two degrees and snow this morning.  Punxsutawney Phil began forecasting Spring back in 1887, and his descendants keep following in his paw prints.  His predictions have been correct 39 % of the time.
  With it being Super Bowl Sunday, I am dressed in orange and blue, for the Broncos.  I have on my extra-thick blue (Gators) sweatpants, blue wool socks, a long-sleeved dark blue T-shirt and an orange short-sleeved T-shirt.  The orange shirt has a silhouette of Peyton Manning getting ready to pass the ball; under it are the words, "Keep Calm And Hurry!! Hurry!!"  -  Besides "Omaha!", "Hurry, Hurry!" is one of Peyton's frequent yells while on the field.  And I think I'm one of the few people who heard and remember ex-Coach Tony Dungy explain what the call "Omaha" means....
  Anyway, it's cold out, the sun has begun to break through the clouds, and the high temperature here in Boulder won't be above freezing until the end of this week, if then.  I have a bowl of seed, nuts, and dried fruit out for the birds; peanuts are out for the squirrels.  In a short while, I'll chop up some left over bread sticks and a slice of pizza for the ravens and crows - they thoroughly enjoy them on a cold day with snow cover.
   So.  Today the Denver Broncos, with the best offense, are playing the Seattle Seahawks, with the best defense.  If you are interested in numbers, I suggest the following article: http://www.eonline.com/news/506194/super-bowl-xlviii-by-the-numbers-from-2-teams-and-1-trophy-to-700-000-for-a-private-suite-and-10-billion-in-bets
Supposedly the Broncos are favored to win by 2 points.  We'll all just have to wait and see. Of course, I'm cheering for the Broncos, but I'm also wary of Percy Harvin, the ex-Gator, who plays for the Seahawks.  I'm behind the Broncos 100% -   GO  BRONCOS!!

No comments: