Friday, April 11, 2014

Hatevil Hall, Vikings, Weather

It's glorious outside - upper 40s in temperature, bright sunshine, very light occasional breeze, and a cloudless sky.  The weather folks say we'll have a high of about 75 degrees today, and a high of about 70 with cloudy skies tomorrow.  They say that our high temperature on Sunday will be just after midnight, and that Boulder will get 5 to 7 inches of snow in the afternoon and evening - and the temperature will rebound to the 60s on Monday.  It's our usual wacko Spring weather!
   Last night's episode of Vikings was enthralling. From the hints on Facebook,  I had deduced that King Aelle of Northumbria would be the visitor to King Ecbert in Wessex, and that Floki would wed Helga.  I had not foreseen that Floki would become restive under Ragnar's rule, and did not invite Ragnar to his wedding.  Bjorn still looks up to Floki for some guidance, and Siggy is still telling "secrets" to King Horik - for Rollo's preferment, she says. Jarl Borg met his end via the Blood Eagle, but he did not cry out, so he entered Valhalla as a warrior.  Athelstan, meanwhile, observed the wedding of King Aelle's daughter, Judith, and King Ecbert's son, Aethelwulfe.  And the two Kings made a pact, to take over Mercia (the land between theirs) and split it between them, while agreeing to unite to fight the menace of the Northmen...
  I'm still working on my father's maternal family tree.  While I haven't discovered anything earth-shattering so far, it's nice to see that most were farmers, merchants, teachers, and men of the law.  I have found two surnames to add to my unusual names list - one is a family named Palpeter, and the other is a family named Cripliver.  I wonder how those two surnames evolved?  Some of the names I come across while reading the US Census from many years ago cause me to shake my head - so many grandiloquent names for so many who died so young.  I still have to laugh when I see the old newspaper write up on unusual names that asks if Hatevil Hall hated evil...  He's one of my ancestors, and he was a Quaker elder,so I think I can fairly say that, yes, Hatevil Hall hated evil.  He had a multitude of sons, and each of those sons named their first born son Hatevil, as did the second and third generations.  I have about 70 Hatevil Halls in my family tree, that I know of.  (And, yes, the name is pronounced Hate Evil...)

No comments: