Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Spring in Colorado

It looks like we might have a week or so without snow - I think Spring is finally arriving in Boulder.  Rosie and I did encounter four different snow flurries yesterday morning, but the sizes of the flakes and the amount that fell was minuscule.  The squirrels are running amok, and birds are courting and building nests.  My brother-in-law's yard has multiple patches of snowdrops and wild violets blooming, and the green leaves of the crocus and daffodils are growing almost visibly.  Rosie visited the groomer Saturday, and is now a sleek velvet, except for her ears, chest, leg feathers, and the plume of her tail - and the groomer left her top-knot, at the owners request.  She's ready to start diving into the koi pond several times a day now.
   Nedi is still his skinny little self, while Lovey is starting to get a bit of a belly...  They both run and play like mad, but I have to remember that while Nedi just turned four, Lovey will turn nine in August.  She is like Boo and Rosie - they still think they're 6 months old, and not their actual years.  Lovey's only problem is her lack of canines for biting during fights - I've broken up only two fights since Christmas, and Lovey did not appear to be winning either one.  Having lived in the same place for 8 years (as of yesterday), and beginning our ninth year here, she believes that she is the Queen of all she sees.  The truth is, younger cats have a much greater advantage, as they have teeth and claws, both, to use.  In any event, she seems to have settled down a bit, as she matures.
   I sent my "polite letter" of complaint to the apartment management regarding the emotional service dog next door.  The owner was told what the rules are in the complex regarding dogs - they must not be turned loose in the communal back yard; there is a leash law in effect; if your dog poops, then the owner is responsible for picking it up; dogs who bark at neighbors moving inside their apartments are considered a "nuisance."  The young lady insists upon turning her dog loose, leaving the poop wherever the dog leaves it, and letting her dog bark, not only at me, but at anyone in the back yard.  I had just picked up 8 piles of dog poop and was carrying it to the dumpster, when I met the apartment manager - he commented on the nasty odor of the bag I was carrying.  I told him that it wasn't used kitty litter, it was the dog poop from the service dog.  He was appalled.  He arranged to sit on a tenant's second floor balcony overlooking the communal back yard.  After three hours, he had seen and heard enough.  I am one of five tenants who have complained about the dog, according to the apartment manager.  The service dog's owner frequently heard me tell the dog, when it was on my patio, barking at my movements inside,that (a) it was a bad dog to bark at neighbors, and (b) this is my patio and the dog shouldn't be here.  When she paid her rent, she was informed that the apartments were giving her a 45-day notice to move.  So she now blames me completely, has written a very nasty letter to me and delivered it by placing it under my door, and has informed me that I "have disrespected" her, and that she "is no longer my friend and will not look or smile at" me.  I feel sorry that she has been given notice.  I am sad that she blames it all on me.  But - she needs to know that the laws of the county, city, and apartment community apply to her, as they do to all residents.....

No comments: