Thursday, April 17, 2014

House Sold, Anniversaries, Vikings, and Weather

We all are enjoying the warmer weather - the kits like having more outdoor time, and I know that both Rosie and I enjoy the warmth of the sun.  We were supposed to have a blast of cold last night, with rain and snow - but we didn't get any precipitation, and the low was only 34 degrees.  Apparently the lower Chesapeake Bay inherited our winds, as a gravel and coal carrier, the Ornak, a 751-foot cargo ship, was run ashore, dragging her anchors by winds over 70 mph.  An hour before the Ornak was blown aground, a 79-foot rig vessel and a 1,065 foot container ship collided, due to the winds, in a heavily used shipping channel.  Neither vessel sustained major damage; nor the the other 12 ships that reportedly drug anchor.
  Tuesday was the 50th anniversary of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel having opened.  I remember traveling across the Bridge-Tunnel in June of 1964 in Uncle Claude and Aunt Ruth's new Jeep SUV...    And today is the 50th anniversary of the introduction of the Ford Mustang - I always thought that was one of the best cars ever made - it was the dream car of kids in the 1960s.  My friend, Richard Shuler, had a black Mustang when we were in high school, and I always remember how much I envied him...
  It is, of course, Thorsday, which means I'll get another wonderful hour of Vikings on the History Channel tonight.  My guess is that tonight Princess Aslaug will give birth to Ragnar Lodbrok's fifth son, Ivar the Boneless; and I believe that next season, we will see Ragnar with his third wife...   And, if you read Bernard Cornwell's  The Saxon Tales books, you will find that several of the characters in the multiple books are sons of Ragnar Lodbrok.  The protagonist of the series is Uhtred of Bebbanburg, who fights against the Ragnarssons.
  My friend Alexy's house was placed on the market on Saturday and yesterday (Wednesday) the sales contract was signed.  Alexy is happy and sad at the same time - she, her husband, and son lived there for 30 years.  She slowly had the house remodeled to her tastes - including a large, well-lit art studio - and planned the yard plantings and gardens.  She moves out on 26 May, to a condominium in Louisville.  I think she will miss the yard, which was a quarter-acre in the front of the house, and a full acre in the back.  She delighted in the wildlife that abounds in the area - her only complaint was about the coyotes, not the bears or mountain lions.  I think she'll miss having the mule deer buck bed down under her dining room window all winter; but - I'm also sure she won't miss expending so much energy on taking care of the house and grounds.  I will miss her and her two cats, Cloudy and Shady.

No comments: