Monday, June 2, 2014

Long's Peak, Boulder Creek, and Home

This is the ledge from which the young man from Quebec was rescued (on Long's Peak) that he isn't being charged for:

This is a photo of Boulder Creek today a couple minutes after 12 noon beside the Boulder Public Library.  If you draw a line from the man sitting on the grass slightly left and upward, you'll see two white posts sticking out of the Creek.  Immediately to the right of the post on the right is the back of a park bench that is almost completely under water....

Thank goodness the bongo serenade has ended.  As soon as I opened my patio door after arriving home, someone - a very good player, actually - started playing the drums on their second floor patio.  After 45 minutes, I'm ready for sounds other than timpani.  .... I've been having a blast baking cobblers and feeding Shirley fresh fruit. I'm making pineapple cobbler this afternoon.  This evening I've got to pick up the dog poop in the back yard, as trash day is tomorrow.  Cooper, Lola and Pounce sleep with me every night - Tipsi only does so occasionally.  ....  I miss sleeping and spending time with Lovey and Nedi, though.  And while I do have access to a laptop at the house, it freezes frequently when I want to go to a  site with a large number of pages of information.  I've found I need to do that here at home.
   The birds are waking me up around 4:30 each morning, so I really can use a nap in the afternoon.  It was extremely humid here (for Colorado) Saturday afternoon - I checked my weather application and saw that the humidity here in Boulder was higher than that at Chincoteague Island, Vero Beach, or Gainesville.  I was very surprised.  But the humidity dropped yesterday and with that, and the heat, one can now see rocky sides of mountains mixed in with striations of snow in the Indian Peaks Wilderness area and on Mount Audubon.  Since it's now June, maybe we won't have more snowfall until September or October.  I hope.
   And the third and final race of the Triple Crown will occur Saturday at Belmont Park in New York...  Will California Chrome become the first horse since Affirmed in 1978 to be a Triple Crown Champion?  We'll see.......
   Oooops.  I forgot.  The prosecution has rested in the trial of ex-Boulder police office Sam Carter; the defense has begun.  Carter says he will not take the stand (at this time).  The Sheriff's Deputy who assisted Carter and Curnow in loading the elk into Curnow's truck testified that he thought it was a legal, justified kill.  When faced with the testimony of  two veterinarians that they found nothing to indicate the bull was previously injured, he stated he was just doing a favor for a friend, and thought that Carter was in the right. Carter is having another vet from Oregon state that the elk probably was injured, but since not all of the elk was available for the necropsy, he couldn't make a definite statement. Geez!

No comments: