Monday, June 9, 2014

Rain Yesterday, Sunny Today

It poured yesterday afternoon in north Boulder - more than a half-inch in 30 minutes, and over an inch for the day.  I have to admit that yesterday's downpour took me back to memories of a couple of hurricanes in Florida during the 1960s...  Rosie and Boo sandwiched me, and I spent most of the evening with a hand on each dog.  I admit I turned on the gas fireplace last night, too - It was 38 degrees outside when I got up this morning.  And, with that cold coming down from the northwest, they even had to stop the "Ride the Rockies" bicycle race  because of a blizzard at Berthoud Pass yesterday afternoon...
Blizzard at Berthoud Pass yesterday afternoon  (8 June 2014)

I understand that co-owner and -breeder of California Chrome, Steve Coburn, is not backing away from his remarks on Saturday evening.  He feels that the Triple Crown championship was stolen from his horse because horses that did not run in all three Classic races finished ahead of him.  It has never been required that any of the horses entered to run in the Preakness or Belmont must also run in the Kentucky Derby - it's always been a wide-open contest at all three races in the past.  I'm sorry that Mr Coburn is so upset over his colt's loss - but all the previous Triple Crown champions have faced the same mixed bag of contenders in both the Preakness and the Belmont.  His colt came up short in the Belmont - the Triple Crown winners did not.

Today is my 58th birthday - I decided it was my "Regression Day" instead.  While my body continues to age, and to get rounder, my mind still thinks that I'm eleven or twelve - so:

Happy Regression Day, every one!!!!


No comments: