Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Ah..... Peaceful Sleep

Some people may not agree with my assessment of last night, but I found it extremely peaceful.  The fact that I shared my twin bed with two full-grown cats is what I believe would cause the disagreement.  But I had Lovey attached to my shoulder like velcro - with frequent face and chin washes administered by her - and Nedi curled up, either by my right side, or down at my feet.  There was plenty of purring and lots of love.  I guess that I heard the 3:30 (a.m.) train go through town with the horn blowing, but it didn't disturb me at all.  When the alarm rang this morning, I certainly didn't want to get up, either.  I was snuggled under the afghan my friend Kathryn made for me a few years ago, the window was wide open, and Lovey was asleep on my shoulder, while Nedi was curled up around my feet.  It was heaven.
  I "spaced out" last night in a very disturbing way.  I had gone to the Denver Airport, to pick up a returning owner.  She asked me to drive back to my house, and I did, happily.  The problem occurred about three miles from my apartment - in a construction area on US 36, the main road between Boulder and Denver.  Lynn had been talking to me, and I was concentrating on what she was saying more than I was on my driving - and I was very tired.  I suddenly realized that Lynn had said, "This lane ends," very calmly, three times in a row.  The left-hand lane that I was in, was, indeed, being narrowed and cut off by orange traffic cones - and there was a car beside us, in the right hand lane.  I had to step on the brakes and move sharply into the right lane, immediately behind the car that had been beside us.  I have no reason that I can give for my lapse in driving concentration.  (Was it that infamous "white line fever" that truckers report?)  All I know is that it scared the daylights out of me.  Thank goodness we were near my place, and thank goodness that Lynn did not freak out about it.

No comments: