Saturday, September 6, 2014

Chilly, Vacation, and Books

As the humidity rose yesterday, the day seemed to get cooler; I ended up putting on a pair of jeans and socks, instead of being in shorts and bare feet.  The high at Denver yesterday was 65 degrees; for Boulder it was 62 - and we had drizzle all day long.  Yuck.  It's supposed to be sunny this morning, so I'll have Rosie over to visit with Tessa.  Then I get to watch two of my college teams play football this afternoon, with the Broncos kick-off tomorrow night.  After spending last night at Tessa's, it's nice to be home for a couple of hours with my kits.  I've fed and watered them, loved them, and cleaned their litter boxes.  I'll be back again early tomorrow morning for another short visit and should be home to begin my vacation just before kick-off for the Broncos tomorrow night.  (Yea!!!!)
   I think, that as of, January 1, I'll be increasing my charge to stay over-night by $5.  That will be the first increase in my charges in 9 years - since I started this business.  I'll probably keep the walk and visit charges at the same amount until the following year, 2016, and then slightly increase those charges.  Most of my clients give me generous tips, knowing the charges by other groups and kennels is almost twice what I charge; but, I do have a few folks that pay me the bare minimum that I charge, and then ask me to do more work around the house and yard.  That's the reason for the increase.
  Several friends have asked me to go out and do things with them during this up-coming week of vacation.  I have thanked them all, and turned them down.  I try to explain to each person that I just want to be at home, with my cats, and not be obliged to be anywhere at any specific time.  That, for me, is vacation, since my business means that I run my life to other peoples (and their pets') schedules.  Most folks don't seem to understand - so I'm glad that I am not a family member.  For me, a vacation is a time period where I do what I want to do, when I want to do it - not something with a planned and timed schedule....
   I've read the latest James Rollins' Sigma Force book, and the latest in C J Cherryh's Foreigner series.  I guess I need to find another new author to enjoy...  Right now, I'm re-reading my favorite Zane Grey novels - and I just purchased a 100-year-old copy of The Light of Western Stars (a first edition) for $3 at a used book store.  I find myself cringing, these days, at the casual usage of derogatory terms for people of other colors and religions, but I always tell myself that, unfortunately, that was how most people thought and spoke at the time....  I have the same problem when I read my favorite series by Elswyth Thane - they were written at a time when racial prejudice was common, and the writing certainly shows that.  At the same time, I've seen a few newer editions of Ms. Thane's books, and I'm amazed at how differently the areas that have been "sanitized for political correctness" read.  A lot of the connotations have been lost, or completely ignored.  Hmmmmmm... Going to have to think about this....

No comments: