Thursday, September 11, 2014

Thoughts

The fine drizzle of yesterday morning cleared and we had bright sunshine in the afternoon.  A light rain is currently falling, but the weather folks say it will, again, clear by noon, and be sunny.  But then a cold front is coming in, and we are expecting a rain and snow mix around midnight - we'll see if the weather gurus are correct....   - The kits let me sleep until 7:45 this morning, and, after caring for them, I started for the bakery and a fresh bagel for breakfast.  I ran into a neighbor at the building door; she was wearing a T-shirt, a sweatshirt, and a hoodie sweatshirt over all, jeans and boots, I was wearing a T-shirt, jeans and sneakers.  Meredith informed me that I needed to go back and get a coat or jacket because it was "freezing out there!"  I went on out and opened my umbrella as I stepped out the door - it was a trifle chilly (45 degrees), but it was nowhere near freezing. I felt chilled, but not cold, on the walk to and from the store - of course, I had the brolly, while she was getting rained on...
  I didn't go to the bank or the library yesterday - I just lounged with the kits and did a little bit of research - so I'll need to go to both places today.  A big "Thank you" is owed to Hillbillygator for suggesting a new series of mysteries and two other books by different authors - I'll try to get them today, and/or will request them.  I owe you!
   So, yesterday, today and tomorrow are first anniversary of the three worst days of flooding from the "Thousand Year Rain" that Colorado experienced.  The newspapers, magazines, and local news stations are giving remembrance stories and then-and-now stories a flogging.  And, of course, today is September 11th, so there is also the usual out-pouring of grief and patriotism on this day.  Last night, the President talked about ridding the world of ISIL/ISIS with the assistance of other countries.  I honestly don't know how I feel.  A huge number of people were impacted strongly, and are not yet recovered, from last year's flooding.  The world will never be the same again, and hasn't been, since the destruction of the World Trade Towers and the crashed hijacked jets in 2001.  Now it seems that our nation will be at war again in the Middle East....   I know that the President said air raids only, with no US soldier setting foot in the affected countries - but, to me, air strikes equal war.
   I am in no way a complete and total pacifist.  I also know that I don't have all the information and (hopefully) facts, that the President and his advisers have.  But I feel despair that killing and maiming people seem to be the only way that human beings can make any kind of statement.
   Most folks would truly be appalled if I set out exactly what I believe and don't believe in the religion arena.  I believe in a Live And Let Live society - I am happy for you to believe in whatever you wish, as long as you don't try to make me believe as you do.  Why is one person's belief better than another's?  I realize that religion and resources are the only reasons that we human beings resort to war.  It's a very sad thing.  None of us is God, or anywhere near God-like.

   Why can't we just live peaceably together, and allow each person their own belief?
 

No comments: