Sunday, September 28, 2014

Winding Down

The sky this morning is about half blue and half clouds.  At 9 o'clock, it was 61 degrees outside, humidity was 70%, and there's a light breeze blowing.  A gorgeous day, but with rain expected this evening.  That's fine with me.  I had an excellent "wind down" yesterday - Beatrice and I wandered over to Turley's at 11, and found that two of our three favorite wait-persons were working, both Amy and Ashley.  We were seated with Amy, but Ashley also dropped by at the table for a quick chat, and was, unfortunately, reprimanded for it.  We spoke with the manager on the way out, and told her it was our fault, not Ashley's - hope that smooths things over for her.  Both of these young ladies are working their way through graduate school, and are delightfully personable.
   After our meal, we walked over to Barnes & Noble and looked at all the new books that were in, checked out the DVDs on sale (I purchased How to Tame Your Dragon, while Bea bought a copy of Tin-Tin), and then we checked out the huge selection of magazines on display.  I questioned the positioning of a "Comics" sign, as the magazines stationed above it were Hobby Farms, Antique Farm Machinery and Cowboys and Indians; below the sign was Photography Today, Vanity Fair, and Faerie World.  Then we returned home - I read and watched college football games, and finally went to bed.  Apparently I need to get used to apartment living again - at midnight, I stepped out onto the grass at the edge of my patio and asked the six people on the balcony above me to speak more quietly, so I could fall asleep.  Sleeping in large houses has spoiled my ability to sleep through anything, anywhere.  And I was flabbergasted that when I awoke this morning the alarm clock read 7:55 - the kits allowed me to sleep in without any complaint at all.  It was very nice.
  Since the Redskins played Thursday night,and the Broncos have a bye week, I don't have any specific teams to watch today.  I will probably just read and clean the apartment until The Good Wife is on this evening.  I am currently reading Maisie Dobbs, the first book in the series about her, written by Jacqueline Winspeak, and I am thoroughly enjoying it.  I also have two other recommended books on hand to peruse.  After those, I have two more Saint Germaine novels by C Q Yarbro to read.  I'll have to request more books soon - even though I saw six new ones (that I want) at Barnes & Noble yesterday.
  Most of my college teams won yesterday.  The CU Buffs were playing in California, and the score was tied at 56 at the end of the first Over Time; the second OT saw the Bears win by a field goal.  Poor Buffs.   ....  Then there was the Mizzou Tigers and Carolina Gamecocks match up.  I didn't want either team to lose.  I wanted both to win.  I had hoped for a tie that would hold.  Nope Mizzou won by a single point - 21 to 20.  I know that Steve Spurrier about had a conniption fit.  I almost did, and I was ambivalent about the final score....   Good for the Tigers, bad for the Cocks.
  Tomorrow I start back to work - and for the next week and a half, all I have to do is walk dogs and spend time with my kits.  I am content.

No comments: