Sunday, September 13, 2015

Football (Madness?)

I have to admit that a lot of the college football teams surprised me yesterday….  and the CU Buffaloes were one of them.   I was proud to watch both the offense and the defense yesterday, and they made Boulder proud.   I wish that the Virginia Cavaliers had been able to defeat Notre Dame - that would have made me ecstatic for the whole week.  As it happened, ND lost their starting quarterback for the rest of the season - but I do wish Virginia had been able to best the other team.  The East Carolina Pirates could have beaten the Florida Gators, but didn't - which made all my friends in Florida and Jim McIlwyne very happy.  The Gators should have played better, but they didn't.  What happened?   The Kentucky Wildcats were hugely delighted by their defeat of the South Carolina Gamecocks, and they used every second they had possession of the ball to their advantage.  The last few minutes of the game were ugly to behold.  The Kentucky players and coaches were gloating on the sidelines as they ran the clock out, just taking a knee on the off chance that the Gamecocks might get the ball back and score.  I'm sure that's called "gamesmanship" and I do realize that using the field clock to one's advantage is to be encouraged.  But it just seemed to me that the UK team was afraid to play normally because they felt that the Old Head Ball Coach's voodoo would allow the Gamecocks to grab the ball, score, and win the game.  (Or is that just sour grapes speaking?)
  The Broncos will kick off at 2:25 (MDT) this afternoon, and I'll be watching intently.  I didn't really watch any of the pre-season Bronco games, as I was watching the Philadelphia Eagles in hope that Tim Tebow would make some brilliant plays and be placed on their roster.  The other reason that I didn't watch the preseason games is because the announcers tend to get caught up in themselves, and speak passionately about what they care about, and don't give any useful information regarding new players.  A few years ago, I remember watching a Broncos preseason game, and the two announcers spent the entire game talking about the Patriots and the Steelers, neither of whom were on the field.  I think that during preseason professional football games, the announcers should talk about the players on the teams that are on the field, period.
   And I've made no bones about the fact that I dislike several quarterbacks - Ben Roethlisberger, Jameis Winston, Phillip Rivers, and Tom Brady.  One of my bus drivers has a new filk song - sung to the tune of the theme from "The Brady Bunch:"  - There's a story, about a man named Brady, who deflates every single football he can find…."  For some reason that just sticks in my brain.  I dislike the first two on the list because they are rapists, pure and simple.  Phillip Rivers is a nasty bully - I sure as heck wouldn't want him to be a role model for my child - and Colin Kaepernick has turned out in the same mold.  What happened to the nice young man who graduated from college?  Has money and fan adulation turned him into such a monster so quickly?  It's just sad….
    I prefer Peyton and Eli Manning, Drew Brees and Aaron Rogers  (and Tim Tebow) to any other quarterback currently in the league.

No comments: