Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Super Tuesday - Time to Caucus

If you live in the United States, and it's the designated day for your state to either vote in a primary election, or gather in a caucus, please do so.  If you are a Republican, please go out and vote for any one other than Donald Trump.  If you're a Democrat, please vote for your choice of candidates.  As an American citizen, legally of age, and registered to vote, you are being incredibly stupid if you do not express your choice for the candidates running for President.
  I make no bones about the fact that I'm a born-and-bred Democrat.  My husband was a card-carrying Democrat, and both of my parents were registered Democrats.  Dad was the son of a farmer in Kansas, Mom was the daughter of a waterman on Chincoteague Island; my husband was the son of a plumber in Alexandria, Virginia.  And I'm currently living in Colorado.  As an adult on the east coast, I am very used to voting in a Primary election; a caucus is still something new to me, here in Colorado.  But tonight, I'll wander across town to Boulder High School, sign my name on the rolls, and, for the third time, participate in my voting precinct's caucus.
  People in what were British Colonies in America, and which became the United States of America, have fought and died for the right to vote since 1774.  At first, only white men who owned real estate could vote; it has been an up-hill battle ever since for people of color, and for females, to be able to vote freely as a citizen of our United States.  As a white, lower-middle-class female, born into the late Baby Boomer generation, I've been extremely lucky in having "my rights" handed to me.  I've always had a birth certificate, and I was given a Social Security number when I was 13 and began to work part-time.  When I was old enough to drive a vehicle, I earned my first photo-identification, my driver's license.  I've been able to conquer the world with those three items - a birth certificate, a Social Security number, and a photo-ID.  I'm very lucky.
   I'll declare loudly, to anyone, that I do not like Donald Trump as a Presidential candidate.  He is loud, crass, obnoxious, and a huge snob due to his billionaire status.  He delights in holding a grudge, and "getting back" at (or "getting even with") individuals and institutions that he feels have slighted or insulted him.  I just don't want this man to represent my nation, and me, before other national governments.  I feel that Trump, if elected, will make America the laughing stock of the world - and I will not enjoy that status.
   So, fellow Americans, if you are a registered voter, and if you want a "say" about how our country is run, and today is a voting or caucus day in your state - go out and vote.

No comments: