Saturday, April 16, 2016

Just Stuff...

One of my clients was due to fly out of Denver International Airport this morning for a week in Mexico.  I contacted her Wednesday afternoon, asking for her flight time, and what I time needed to be ready for her pick-up, to return the car to her home.  I also commented that the weather for Saturday (today) looked interesting.  She responded that the flight left DIA at 8 a.m., and we'd need to be at the airport at 6 a.m., so how about a 5 a.m. meet time?  Then she asked about the weather.  I responded that there was a "four day rain-snow event" expected to begin Friday afternoon.  The client said we'd "play it by ear."  Thursday night, she informed me that she and her friend would stay at the newly opened DIA motel Friday night, so she'd pick me up after supper Friday.  Friday evening, she called and informed me her flight was cancelled.  (It had begun to rain at 11:45 that morning, and weather forecasters said DIA would be hugely impacted as the rain turned to snow.)  They couldn't get a flight down to Mexico until Sunday, or, probably, Monday.  The resort in Mexico could not extend their reservations.  They would try to get a flight out sooner, even if it meant hop-scotching around the country to get down to Mexico...  At 10 p.m., the client's daughter called and asked if I could arrive and stay at the house beginning early this morning - to which I responded, "Of course."  It seems that the client was able to book a flight from DIA last night to San Francisco, and then hop down to Mexico - arriving there so she could make use of her 7 day reservation...    (And, by the way, it started snowing in Boulder at 6:30 this morning, as I was on my way to the client's home.)
   It will be interesting to see just how much precipitation falls here.  We've had intermittent rain, varying from a drizzle to a quick downpour, for almost 20 hours, along with the wet snow that began two and a half hours ago....  I can see a build-up of white stuff on grassy areas, but our balcony (and lights) are just wet and dripping, as are road surfaces.  The forecasters said that Boulder could receive up to 15 inches of snow - we'll see,
   Today is one of the last major pre-Kentucky Derby races - the Arkansas Derby will take place at Oaklawn Park today.  Last year, trainer Bob Baffert had the betting favorite with American Pharoah, who went on to become the first Triple Crown winner since Affirmed in 1978.  This year, Bob Baffert again has the betting favorite, a grey colt named Cupid, a son of Tapit.  There are twelve scheduled runners in the Arkansas Derby - ten colts and two geldings.  Three of the colts are sired by Tapit - Cupid, Creator, and Gray Sky.  The colt breaking from post twelve, Gettysburg, was sired by Pioneer of the Nile, the sire of last year's winner, American Pharoah.   Today's race will probably decide the betting favorite for the Kentucky Derby  on May 7.

No comments: