Thursday, November 10, 2016

Moving On...

Well, OK - Donald Trump will be the next President of the United States and Mike Pence will be the Vice President.  Obama and Clinton have said they will work together to ensure a smooth turn-over to the Republicans on 20 January.  I will back the will of the American public, even if I didn't vote for the winners.
    Boulder, itself, was depressed yesterday.  All of the bus drivers commented on it, as did the owner and wait-staff at Turley's, where Bea and I had brunch.  As a matter of fact, when I arrived at Turley's, Bea was hugging a blond woman, dressed all in black, in the waiting area.  She had said to Beatrice, "You look as depressed as I feel."  Then the woman started to cry.  I joined in, and made a three-way hug.  The lady said she was dressed in black, mourning for our country, and that she had purchased a red hijab to wear on the day Trump is sworn in as President.  She was on her way to a business meeting, and didn't want to ruin her make-up, but she couldn't stop the tears from welling up.
    One of my friends told me that her husband was in tears three or four times Tuesday night because of the election results, and that at one time he was tossing furniture about in frustration.  He, too, wore black, in mourning, on Wednesday.
   But, we are moving on. Tomorrow is Veteran's Day - banks will be closed, businesses will have sales, and we will honor all of the men and women who are, serving, and who have served, in our country's Armed Forces.  We will specially recognize those who have given their lives and limbs fighting to keep America "the home of the free and the land of the brave."  I salute all servicemen and servicewomen who work to preserve their country's independence.  I can honestly claim to have ancestors and relatives who have fought and died in a majority of all the chronicled wars and battles since 1066...

No comments: