Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Vehicles and Accidents

I arranged to have today off, so I could sleep in this morning.  Then I received a phone call at 9:30 yesterday evening, asking if I could take a client to the Denver International Airport, leaving at 5:30 this morning.  Since said client would let me use their car through 14 December, I said yes.  So I was up at 5 this morning, downstairs at 5:28, waiting for the 5:30 pick-up, which occurred at 5:52.  The client then drove like mad to DIA  on the tolled Parkway.  I was back home by 7:30 and back in bed.  But my cell phone rang at 9, and it was the client who just wanted me to know that they had left a suitcase at their house....  Hunh?  They didn't want it sent to them, they would get another suitcase where they were - but they just wanted me to know....  I'm still not certain why they called and told me this.
     The same client lost a car Sunday night.  The "children" (male and female in their mid- to late-20s) were home for Thanksgiving, and had left the house together, with both dogs, to go visit friends.  A huge mule deer doe bounded onto the road in front of them, while they were driving at 50 mph - this was at 6 p.m. and it was completely dark; no street lights.  The doe was killed; the car, a Toyota Prius, made a full double roll-over, and luckily came to rest on it's wheels.  The Prius is a total loss - all the windows shattered, and the roof crushed.  The worst thing was that beside the two people and two dogs in the car, they were transporting 24 quart Mason jars fir canning (which, of course, are glass).  The kids were bumped and bruised, and the young man had a small glass cut in the middle of his forehead.  The dog who had been in the rear compartment with the Mason jars, was bounced into the back seat, and bruised.  The younger puppy was in the daughter's arms - and she had  a cut and three very sore legs.  The daughter, while receiving no cuts, was stiff and bracing to protect the puppy, and she has a lot of pain and stiffness, but no broken bones.  What seems crazy is that most of the broken glass ended in the daughter's seat, under her bottom, but she wasn't cut at all....

No comments: