Friday, November 4, 2016

Today's Four Breeders Cup Races

Since I've done so poorly predicting winners in the past few years, I decided to not announce my choices this year.  I had a good day at the races today, however....  I bet a few wins and shows, and exactas, and came away with more money than I started with.  All bet payments were for $2 bets.
   The Juvenile Turf had a winning time of 1:33.28 for a mile over the grass, which was firm and fast.  The first four finishers were: 1) Oscar Performance, 2) Lancaster Bomber, 3) Good Samaritan, and 4) Ticonderoga.  Oscar Performance paid $15.20 for his win; Lancaster Bomber paid $11.20 to place; and Good Samaritan paid $3.40 to show.  The Exacta paid $138.80; the Trifecta paid $501.80; and the Superfecta paid $10,687.80.  (The top four finishers were my picks this morning.)
   The Dirt Mile had a running time of 1:35.72.  The winner, Tamarkuz, ridden by Mike Smith, paid $25.80 to win.  Gun Runner placed second and paid $5.20.  Accelerate was in third, and paid $16.00.  The fourth place finisher was Dortmund.  The Exacta paid $100.40; the Trifecta paid $2,135.20; and the Superfecta paid $5,278.00.  (My four choices finished first, second, fourth, and Point Piper ran sixth.)
   The Juvenile Fillies Turf  was won in 1:34.02, a few hundredths more than a half-second slower than the boys.  New Money Honey won the race, and paid $15.00.  Coasted was second and paid $17.40 to place.  Cavale Doree was third, and paid $10.60 to show.  Lull, who led for most of the race faded and finished fourth.  The Exacta paid $254.80; the Trifecta paid $4,653.80; and the Superfecta paid $55,942.80.  (My choices finished second and third, with Rymska fifth, and Happy Mesa twelfth.)
   The Distaff was a nasty pick for me...  I wanted Songbird to win and stay undefeated.  I wanted Beholder to win in her final race before retirement.  I wanted Forever Unbridled to win because I love her bloodlines.  And I wanted the Argentina-bred Corona Del Inca, who won a "Win-and-you're-in" race, to show talent and surprise the United States.  It was a fantastic finish.  Beholder won by a short nose over Songbird, who led for most of the race.  Forever Unbridled came charging up on the outside to catch third.  Stellar Wind, one of the top betting choices had been left flat-footed in the starting gate - she was moving up in fourth position at the finish.  My Argentina-bred mare finished last.  With a small field of 8, and with Beholder, Songbird, and Stellar Wind getting a lot of bets, the payouts weren't all that great.  Beholder paid $8.60; Songbird paid $3.20; and Forever Unbridled paid $4.40.  The Exacta paid $25.20; the Trifecta paid  $161.60; and the Superfecta paid $348.80.  Gary Stevens won riding Beholder in her final race.

No comments: