Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Poor Little Chipmunk!

I spent three hours trying to catch the chipmunk yesterday, but I had to leave to feed Suki and Boo. The chipmunk was alive and well, though frightened, and was still in the closet when I left yesterday evening. He was dead and very neatly laid out in the middle of the bowl full of Purina Healthful Life food upon my return. (How ironic!) I could not find a mark on him, but his neck was broken, so I'm assuming that Lovey made the kill. It was quite a vocal little creature, and I am sorry that it died. It ran into my apartment of its own accord, and unfortunately for it, I have two hunting machines that it was unaware of. The chipmunks have lived around the apartments for as long as I have been here - I see them often out in the yard, over by the hotel, and also in and around the shopping center next door. I have seen them on the patios before, but this was the first time (that I know of) that one entered the apartment, and/or that my kits have ever met one... Poor little thing.
Construction was supposed to get underway at full speed today at the Rs house. It didn't. Something that is needed hasn't yet arrived, so the big effort is now set for either Friday or Monday. I took the kids out for a walk at 8:30 this morning, and returned them about 12:15 - after the walk we went to the Snow house, and I read a new Bernard Cornwell novel to them, Suki and Boo included. It probably looked very funny - me sitting in a green lawn chair with my straw hat on, reading to two Samoyeds and two Irish Setters that were stretched out in the grass, while I read aloud about the Danish incursions into Mercia, Wessex, and East Anglia during the 980s. At least we all seemed to have a good time. Walk the Irish kids tomorrow and then home again - maybe I can get my bookshelves up before supper!

No comments: