Monday, December 13, 2010

December?

Weather records have been kept in this area for only the past 125 years - therefore, we have a shorter history to look to for averages, than, say, Boston.... Usually, by this date, the Boulder and Denver area has had 20 inches of snow fall; this year, the total is 1.25 inches. Our normal average for a high temperature is 43 degrees; for the past week, we've been either in the upper 50s or lower 60s, with 61 expected today, and 63 expected tomorrow. Is this really the month of December? Is Christmas really only 12 days away? I feel as if I'm back living in Florida! On the other side of the continental divide, of course, it's another story... Most of the north and central ski areas have between 41 and 18 inches of new snow.
I walked the red kids this morning, and Rosie led me on a merry chase when I turned her loose for a romp at the Snow house. As soon as I unhooked her lead, she bolted across the yard diagonally, sailed over the fence and disappeared. I saw her in Connie's yard, and called her. Rosie headed in the opposite direction. I ended up down in the dry creek bed, trying to get Rosie to rejoin me, and when she did appear, she was back inside the Snow back yard. She was covered with leaves and twigs were woven throughout her longer fur. She was a mess, but she was whole and happy. She certainly had me running around this morning! - With the weather as warm as it is, I've had the kits out and playing for the last hour. Lovey just came running in and she is completely covered with loose sand - I'll have to brush her before she gets on the bed. Nedi is chasing leaves that the breeze is blowing, as well as trying to sneak up on and attack Lovey. He doesn't seem to realize that he's no longer a little handful of kitten, and that a leaf does not hide a 6-pound body covered with long hair that blows and waves in the wind....

No comments: