Sunday, September 7, 2008

Loud music in Niwot

It was loud at Spike's last night. One neighbor started playing Roy Orbison and Jimmy Buffett at 5 p.m., the one on the other side of the house cranked up their choice - acid rock that I didn't recognize; I turned up the volume on the TV to be able to hear it between the two stereos, and then the band on the square had it's amplifiers turned up so loud, I had to turn up the volume again. (I could follow the action of the Gator game - after all, I did stats for my high school team - but I wanted to hear names and the info the announcers decided to share about the players...) This weekend was good to the college teams I support - they all won.

The kits are happy to have me home again for a bit. Actually, when I walked in this morning, Banichi ran in the opposite direction - I was wearing my sneakers; I don't know what his previous owners did to him, but if I'm wearing sneakers, he doesn't trust me. I quickly kicked the sneakers off and loved both of my kits; gave them breakfast, cleaned the litter boxes, fed the birds and let the kits outside to explore the strange scents left from the tail-gaters from the CU game. It got up to 68 yesterday; expecting mid-70s today, but another cold front is coming through tonight and tomorrow is expected to be rainy and cool like Friday.

I realized last night, as I was driving back to Niwot after putting Suki & Boo to bed, that I have no idea where my sister and brother-in-law are this weekend. For once, they left me no contact numbers, nor even the name of the town they went to. I'm comfortable with it, but I usually have some idea of where my clients are and how to contact them when I'm in charge of their critters. Kathy and Jim are due back this evening, so I'll be leaving their truck in their drive and hopping the bus out to Niwot, as usual. It's felt strange to have the truck and to be traveling in a triangle - Spike's, Suki & Boo's, and my place.

Also while driving last night, I had a Twilight Zone moment, when I suddenly realized that I was driving on automatic pilot - there were no other vehicles in sight, there were lights in houses about a mile off the road in either direction, and I had no idea where I was. I must have been thinking very hard about something! I finally saw a fire-truck warning sign up ahead and recognized my position... I'm currently reading about voodoo and obeah and some of the beliefs on the Islands - maybe I thought I was cursed?!? In any event, I was not off course and made it back to Spike's with no problem. It will be nice not to have to worry about three households after this evening.

For those of you who had a scare with Gustav, and Hanna, I feel with you. Those bracing to see what Ike (and possibly Josephine) will do - I feel for you, too. I wish all of you could have the information and support that those who watch George Winterling on WJXT get. George is the very best of all weather people/meteorologists!!!

No comments: