Sunday, July 12, 2009

Books and Kits

God save me from good authors! Yesterday evening I walked to Target, to get a new watch and socks. I don't know what caused me to wander through their book section... but there was a new Clive Cussler book and a new Preston & Child book, and they were both 30% off. I couldn't resist. So after I had spent 4 hours trying to catch up with requests on Facebook, I settled into my reading chair with James Rollins' The Doomsday Key - big mistake. I finally put the book down at 4 this morning - I'm 2/3 through it, and loving each page. This is the sixth book in the Sigma series by Rollins; and this one has an odd twist in that the mystery is also associated with William the Conqueror's Domesday Book. It's pretty neat! - Then I'll need to attack the other new books... Cussler's is a new Kurt Austin adventure titled Medusa, and the Preston & Child book is a new thriller about FBI Special Agent Aloysius Pendergast titled Cemetery Dance. I'm excited to have three new books of this caliber to read at one time! I was also amazed to have been contacted by the History Book Club and asked to be one of their non-professional reviewers. I declined, as I really have no experience, and if I don't like a book, I just don't like it.

I ended up running Banichi over to the Emergency Vet Clinic again yesterday morning. He'd been outside with Lovey for about 15 minutes; he came back in, up-chucked some grass, and then started foaming at the mouth and convulsing. This is the second time it's happened in 4 months. The vets were able to tranquilize him and get him stable, and he spent last night in the kitty hospital. I've already got him back at home this morning, and he is lying stretched out in the bathtub, sound asleep. We don't know what is causing him to have this reaction. But I may have to start keeping him inside... for his own well-being (and for my bank account!). For the next week, the only "work" I have to do is walking the red kids in the morning - and we've moved up their walking time, trying to avoid some of the heat. I will probably be walking the red kids two or three times in the evening this week, as their folks are in the final week of rehearsal prior to their 2-week run of Camelot. Then I'll be with Smiley and Silver for 6 days starting Saturday. Once the red kids' folks have finished their run in Camelot, I'll be at their house for 3 weeks....

No comments: