Saturday, July 11, 2009

Home Again!!

Wouldn't you know that I would not sleep well on my first night at home? I finally got up and did some family research until 2:30, then went back to bed, getting up at 6:30. I've taken my walk and fed the kits. Lovey is sprawled across my desk top, while Banichi is sunning in the window. Honestly, I think I'll take another nap after I finish posting this blog - then I'll start the day again with much more energy. It's 63 degrees outside and the humidity is at 74%. We're expecting thunderstorms this afternoon. - I have heard from my friend in Accra, Ghana about Obama's visit there. I just find it odd to receive an e-mail referring to "the Great Obama," while he is still in his first year of office. I realize that for my friend in Africa it is a wondrous thing for the USA to have elected an African-American (especially one whose father was from Kenya)as our President. But I can't apply the descriptive "great" to him as yet.

Not much going on here - Joe Sakic has retired after 20 years as a hockey player for the Avalanche. I've always liked Joe - he's always been a stand-up kind of guy. ... The Denver Zoo has announced the arrival of a new female okapi baby, which has been named Kalispell. ... My child's Timex watch with it's geckos died yesterday after 2.5 years, and considering that I paid $5.99 for it, and it's been through both washing machine and dryers at least 10 times each, I think it was a good investment. Now I need to see if I can find another one like it. ... I noted last fall, and again earlier this year, that people are giving up their horses for adoption, and that some folks are just turning their horses loose on BLM lands, hoping they will survive, due to the recession and increasing shortage of funds. Outside of Reno, Nevada, a beautiful 2.5 year-old dapple grey filly was found wandering near a livestock market, in obvious pain. In an attempt (?) to avoid owner identification, the filly, who had had a brand on her left hip, had had a 6-inch by 8-inch by 3/4 inch deep patch of her hip removed - obviously to remove her brand. The filly's open wound was infected and she was in very poor condition. I would like to be able to remove the previous owner's left buttock - at least a 6" x 8" x 3/4" patch, without anesthesia and then turn them loose in the badlands in search of food, water and medical attention! - I guess I'm getting feisty again... but I am really disgusted by the inhumane way humans treat their animals.

No comments: