Friday, July 3, 2009

The Critters...

Today it's grey and cloudy outside, and we're expecting scattered thunderstorms all afternoon and evening (and the same for tomorrow). Yesterday, in a county south of here, 2.5 inches of rain fell in 90 minutes... the rain caused several mud slides and road wash outs up in the mountains. I have found that walking a small one block loop takes about an hour and 15 minutes with Yoshi and Aiko - it takes 15 minutes with the red kids... In the mornings, I walk the little kids first and follow up with the Rs a couple hours later. Yesterday evening, I walked the Rs first (since they had been at the groomer's in the morning) and then followed up with the little kids. I have to admit Yoshi made me chuckle during our walk; he decided to lift his leg against a mail box post, but the post was sited on a very small slope. In hoisting his leg higher and yet more high, he managed to fall over and roll down the slope. And both boys played the big man when we visited Suki and Boo - they marked and kicked grass and growled ferociously - while the girls sat and politely watched their antics.

The new screening is doing it's stuff at the apartment - no flies, bees, wasps, or mosquitoes were inside when I arrived, but I think I admitted a fly when I let the kits go outside and play. I had closed the door and was checking my e-mail when Lovey began to growl and howl; so I looked out to see what had upset her, and a visitor had a silver and white pit bull on my patio. I asked her to remove the dog from my patio as it was disturbing my cat, which she did... but she was getting a kick out of riling Lovey before I said anything. I hope that it's not an on-going thing while I'm away house-sitting. ... Brother-in-law Jim's sister Frannie is visiting Jim and Kathy for the 4th - she likes Illinois, but she misses the Rockies. Niece Sarah has gone on a week-long solo backpacking trip. She enjoys solitude, and as she 's been teaching for the past year, and living with Michael, she announced that she needed some space and time to herself. (Now that I can totally understand!) We are gearing up for a series of small family celebrations, as Grandma Anne Snow will be 80 on the 7th. She has said she doesn't want a big to do with lots of people, so I'm taking her and Kathy and Jim out for lunch at the Cheesecake Factory.

And I've been eating much better (a more balanced diet) while I'm here in North Boulder. Instead of grabbing a doughnut, danish, or bagel for breakfast, I've been eating eggs and fruit, or making myself a fruit smoothie. Brandi's folks will leave around noon today, so I'll be visiting the girl several times a day through Sunday evening - keeping her company during thunderstorms, feeding and medicating her, and taking her for a twice daily stroll. Thank goodness she's on the next street! ... I have yet to start James Rollins' latest book - I want to be able to concentrate on it, when I open it up. So I'm currently investigating the Snead family on Kevin's maternal side; and I've found over a hundred new relatives to add to the family tree.
... Enjoy your Holiday Weekend!!

No comments: