Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Wild Weather

Yesterday was warm and humid - we had a thunderstorm around 3 p.m., and then just a pile-up of clouds. I was awakened by rain and hail (and Silver and Smiley barking at it) around 2 this morning... Luckily Boulder escaped the winds and hail that hit the western Denver metro area when a cold front came through. Two-inch diameter hail has been verified, and in one area two and a half feet of hail fell - DOT had to get out their snow plows and bulldozers to clear several sections of highway and interstate roadways. A seventy-foot tall fir tree was blown over by the winds; branches from a huge pine broke through the roof and walls of one man's home; electric poles were snapped off at high elevations like matchsticks. Jefferson County Libraries are closed for the day due to lack of power. The power company says they hope to have all power in the area restored by 11 tonight. This storm hit the Denver area around 10 to 10:30 p.m. last night... it was quiet here - I was reading Steel Bonnets and enjoying the solitude and silence of Wonderland Lake. Several college campuses around Denver are closed for the day; home and business windows have been blown out; and two tornadoes have been confirmed to have touched down.... Whew! Makes my Florida hurricane experiences seem tame!

What is it like this morning? It's (at 10 a.m.) 62 degrees outside with a heavy mist... I've walked Smiley and Silver and cleared debris from their yard. It was actually raining as I walked over to Rosie and Remy's, so I cancelled their walk. I'm currently at home with my kits, trying to convince them that I do still love them. As soon as I sit down in my reading chair, or lay on the bed, I have Banichi sitting on me and loving me like mad. Lovey is still a little piqued, and has been keeping her distance - after loving me to pieces when I first came in and fed them! Not sure when I'll get to blog tomorrow or Thursday... I'll try to, but I have no idea of what time, or how long, I'll be able to do it. (House-sitting without internet access really stinks! - Or, have I gotten addicted to the internet?) Have a good week!

No comments: