Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Drizzling Tuesday

It's another grey day here in Boulder - the clouds are hugging the hill and mountain tops, and a chill drizzle (it's 35 degrees outside) is falling. I had my hair cut at 8 this morning, being the first customer to show up at Great Clips. (I've been meaning to get my hair chopped for the last 6 weeks, but never got around to it. Saturday, walking Sammie in the falling snow at 18 degrees, some of my over-grown bangs froze to the front of my glasses. That's what convinced me I had to get the hair cut soon.) Then I wandered over to the grocery store and purchased a chicken to put in the crockpot and returned home to let the kits go out and play. With the drizzle falling, they didn't stay out long; but Gimpy was in the doorway about a minute after I opened it. He enjoyed a breakfast of peanuts, almonds and pecans; and will have the same for dinner, if he shows up. After blogging yesterday, I visited an NFL website to get uniform photos and was immediately under assault from a Mal-Ware virus. I shut down then and there, and ran my scrubbing program, which lifted 18 spy cookies and 3 viruses from my hard drive. I still wasn't feeling well so I went back to bed with the kits until 4:30. - Oh. I did manage to stop by the library and grab 15 new books to read yesterday - so I have plenty to keep me occupied, both reading and doing my usual research.

I was disappointed to read that Sea the Stars, the sensational 3-year-old colt in England, is being retired to stud and will not come over to race in the Breeders Cup in November. Sea the Stars has raced and won six races this year - all Grade I. They were: the Two Thousand Guineas at Newmarket, the Epsom Derby at Epsom Downs, the Coral-Eclipse Stakes at Sandown, the International Stakes at York, the Irish Championship Stakes at the Curraugh, and the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe at Longchamp near Paris. His owners say that he has nothing else to prove, has had a long campaign, and just deserves to be retired. Sea the Stars has won the equivalent of $6,824,461 so far this year.) - Tomorrow in Richmond, Virginia, a group is meeting to plan the next 20-years' future for the Wallops Space Station complex near Chincoteague. People are hoping to expand the usuage of Wallops' to send more satellites into space, and to promote space tourism for the area.

No comments: