Friday, October 30, 2009

Friday Potpourri

Well, I've already slipped and fallen on the ice twice this morning, so I cancelled walking Rosie and Remy again. I'm kind of stiff, and I cut my right knee, but other than that I'm fine. I'll just spend another day reading and researching. The kits ran out this morning, but they both came right back inside; and Gimpy's nuts are still nicely piled by the door. The snow has compacted down to about 18 inches high, and I'm certain that Lovey will paint me with mud later this afternoon. It's currently grey and foggy/misty/cloudy outside - it's already 32 degrees out, and it's supposed to be 53 and sunny tomorrow (which will make for a very muddy Homecoming football game for CU). I shared a table with a gentleman from Leeds, Yorkshire this morning - I was having hot chocolate, while he had a latte. He's in Boulder to give a sales presentation, and is staying at the Millennium Harvest House. We had a nice conversation about the differences of our languages and the beauty of the Rockies and the dales of Yorkshire.

The first day of Breeders Cup races begins a week from today. All races on the slate for next Friday are for fillies and mares - except the last one. It's the Breeders Cup Marathon, run at a mile and a half on the turf course. There currently are 11 starters, including Cloudy's Knight, the 9 year old son of Lord Avie. I'll be rooting for the big chestnut gelding. .... One of our local folk-bluegrass bands does something different for Halloween: they change their name, put on make-up and costumes, and sing anti-love songs as The Widows Bane. They are a group of 19th century zombies who play the banjo, guitar, fiddle, bass, washboard and accordion. (I have heard them play in a contemporary setting, and I highly recommend them!) If you're interested in this group, please visit: www.dailycamera.com/entertainment/ci_13662744 (even if it's just to see them in costume in a cemetery) .... I haven't been able to decide on a type of music to listen to today - I've been on the Golden Oldies Country station, the smooth jazz station, the classical station, and the Golden Oldies Rock station... guess I need to put on some John Hartford, Marty Robbins, and Mason Williams CDs to keep me happy. But, then again, maybe I'll try the Big Band and Swing station before I break out the CDs. Have a good Friday!

No comments: