Sunday, October 18, 2009

Oh, What A Beautiful Morning!

An absolutely beautiful morning greeted me when I arose and went out walking earlier. The town is, even now, dead quiet, having celebrated loud and long for the CU Buff upset victory over the Kansas Jayhawks last night. The sunrise was gorgeous, and looking to the west, one can easily see snow-capped peaks and ridges just behind the foothills. It's in the 40s and we're expecting a high near 80 this afternoon... The kits are outside in the backyard - I'm sure that they are exploring all the interesting trash left behind by the folks attending the football game last evening. Soon after the Gator game ended yesterday, I heard a squirrel giving something "what for" at the top of it's lungs. What surprised me was that it was inside the house; and the kits know that they are not supposed to touch anything wild inside... It was Gimpy, in the patio doorway, telling off a younger squirrel, who had the temerity to take a couple of Gimpy's almonds.

After writing my blog yesterday, I started thinking about how much I love music; how much I appreciated Dad for introducing us to all kinds of music; and how much I enjoyed being in the chorus at my elementary school and performing in musicals. Those thoughts brought to mind Mister Jack Carter. He became my music teacher at Lake Forest after the term had started when I was in the fourth grade - having just graduated from college, and having no family in the immediate area, my parents adopted Jack into our family - so Jack was a friend away from school, but "Mr. Carter" on the school grounds. Poor Jack used to listen to all my troubles and grumbles and complaints until I was well into my 30s... He always had me look at what was happening from all angles, to try to understand others' points of view. He was the best "big brother" a depressed girl - or anyone - could have. With these thoughts tumbling in my mind, I looked in the White Pages on-line and found Jack. He is still living at his old address, still has cats, and still sounds the same. I called him, you see. It was a marvelous sensation to hear his voice again, to joke about old times, and to talk about family and pets. I ended up smiling all of yesterday, just thinking of our conversation - and remembering times past. Thank you, Jack, for all I know that you did - and for things that I'm sure you did without my knowledge, to help smooth the pathway of my early years!!

No comments: