Thursday, October 1, 2009

Separate the Pets

I'm blogging from Suki and Boo's this morning, prior to walking Remy and Rosie and before I move my overnight stuff to Quince Street. The wind picked up yesterday afternoon - blowing at 20 to 35 mph and it grew a little chill by sunset. Monarch Pass recorded a wind gust of 83 mph, while Boulder's highest was 57. Suki and Boo were quite happy to be inside last night, as was I. I'm sure the kits curled up together in the bed and kept each other nice and warm. I read over half of the book Origins of the Specious, which is about myths and misconceptions surrounding the English language (both American and British English). It's very good, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. While the English language is always evolving and changing, did you know that the English we Americans speak is closer to the English the Colonies spoke when they came over from England, rather than the current British accent which developed in the 19th century? And there are still pockets of British English speakers who pronounce "ask" as "ax".... This is a fun book (for me, anyway).

When I move over to Quince Street this morning/afternoon, I'll be taking on Coffee, Rusty, and Sadie. Each dog is very easy to care for; but currently, Rusty and Sadie must be kept apart from each other at all times. These two have a true love/hate relationship: when separated, they sit outside the other's area and whine and whimper and try to paw the door open; when they are together, they get along well 99% of the time - but then something will set either Rusty (a Jack Russell terrier) or Sadie (an Irish Setter) off and they attack each other viciously. As Sadie outweighs Rusty by 50 pounds, she is always the winner. Rusty has had 4 surgeries under general anesthetic this year - 1 for cancer, the others due to Sadie savaging her; and she just had 48 stitches removed last week after the last attack. You can be sure that I will keep Sadie and Rusty separate and apart from each other! I can't forget Frippet, the African clawed frog, either; he's a very jolly and friendly soul, who loves the live flies that I catch for him.

No comments: