Monday, October 26, 2009

Slushy Monday?

It's 25 degrees outside, and only a bit nippy, as I ran down the drive to collect the morning paper - after all, Colorado does not have the humidity that I grew up with in Florida and Virginia. The sky is clear, the sun is shining, and we're expecting a high of 53, which will melt the half-inch of snow that's on the ground. Roads and drives are clear in the neighborhood, just because of the warmth of the pavement/gravel/cement. A few of the exit ramps in Denver are icy, but mostly, roads are clear. And we're expecting more snow Tuesday night, Wednesday, and Thursday, too. Both Cloudy and Shady slept with me last night - Shady at my feet and Cloudy next to my head. - And I have Cockatoo hair this morning; apparently I slept hard and heavily, and convinced the hair follicles on my head that I needs must have multiple rooster tails all over the back of my head, as well as a crest on top. (I've wet it and combed it, and it's sprung back into Cockatoo position, anyway.) I'll be going home to my kits today - and I'm looking forward to being walked on and talked to, and being a kitty slave.

Halloween is Saturday. The CU Homecoming football game is Saturday. The annual Naked Pumpkin Race is Saturday. And some folks are trying to get "The Mall Crawl" started up again. The Mall Crawl was, in the 70s and 80s, a big to-do for Halloween on the Pearl Street Mall; it was canceled due to multiple riots, fights, thefts, and general drunkenness. The city, county, and University police have already declared that peace must reign on Saturday night. Me? I'm not going out after 4 p.m. that afternoon. ... Boulder is threatening to shorten the hours the public libraries are open due to the economic crunch. They open at 10 or 11 (noon on Sundays) now, and all branches, other than the main site are only open 6 days a week, as it is. ... I always liked to visit Berlin, Maryland when I was a child; Mom had told me so many stories about Samuel Riddle's farm and the horses she got to meet there, that I could always rebuild the barns and populate the fields with Thoroughbreds. It was where Mom got to meet and touch Man O' War, and sign his visitor's guest book. Berlin is now trying to pass a law keeping "all Farm animals" from being kept within the city limits; and, at the same, time, has tentatively OK'd the demolition of one of the oldest houses in the town. I don't call either decision forward progress. ... I read a second Martha's Vineyard mystery yesterday, and then started another book about the Adirondacks in the late 1890s. I was able to add 36 people to the Danish side of my family tree, and I took a photo of a 10-point buck scratching his antlers on a tree in the backyard. The buck has been around here for at least 3 years - he was hit by a car, and has a useless left hind leg, but he's fat and sassy and can still run and jump like crazy, so the DoW has let him be. ... Please enjoy your week!

No comments: