Saturday, March 27, 2010

A Young Fox

I was amazed yesterday morning at the audacity of a young fox. Brandi, the Border Collie I care for is blind, and as she is now a senior citizen, she has slowed down tremendously. After breakfast yesterday, Brandi wished to go out and relieve herself; I let her out the French doors and went about getting my own breakfast. I stepped back by the patio doors and saw a young red fox trot over the hill at the rear of the yard, and then circle around Brandi, so it was behind her. (Brandi was concentrating on taking a dump.) The young whippersnapper then barked four times at Brandi, advancing a few more steps after each yip, until it was less than 6 feet away from her! Brandi finished her business, and turned toward the fox, who then moved to her left - but she kept facing the fox's original position. Brandi barked at the fox a couple of times, and it yipped back at her from her side. As she turned towards it, the youngster yipped twice more, then fled through the fence into a neighbor's yard. I wonder if the young fox felt strong and powerful because it had challenged Brandi in her own yard and approached her so closely. I know that I'll never truly know, but I can't help but wonder....
The weather people said lots more wet snow was due to fall last night and this morning. It fell for about 45 minutes and immediately melted yesterday evening. My kits were extremely happy to see me yesterday and today, and I spent all my time loving and feeding them, after cleaning their potty boxes. Lovey didn't want to leave my lap until she heard Riley and Banichi playing together outside; but once Riley went back in, both kits came to me for more loving. They are my darlings. I'll sleep at home on Monday night, then go out to Niwot for two more nights, and then I'll be home for a week.... I will love my kits like mad....

No comments: