Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Cold and Critters

Our snow and cold have caused Oaklawn Park, in Hot Springs, Arkansas, to cancel racing for the day. And the state of Georgia is trying to get a bill passed to allow horse racing there. ... It was -5 when I got up this morning, with a wind chill of -27. Ouch. Last night I slept with Tessa at my feet on the bed, with Lilly on one side and Lyra and Dhisana on the other. I didn't need any covers, thanks to all the warm bodies snuggling with me. Lynn called me yesterday afternoon, concerned about her two bee hives and the spring water delivery scheduled for this morning. I've already dealt with the water delivery - the bees are something else entirely. We're supposed to have a gradual warm up and have temperatures in the mid-50s this weekend. Since Lynn is due back Saturday evening, she will be able to check the bees on Sunday - it's simply too cold for me to try and open the hives today.
My kits were very happy to see me this morning - both wanted lots of love, even before food. Then they both ran outside, realized how cold it is, and they both came and crawled into my lap. Nedi had to nurse on both of my arms, while Lovey just wanted to lay across my heart. They are such sweet things! And I've also been visiting Brett's kits - Patches and Phoenix. Both were a little skittish at first, but now they both greet me at the door, want loving and play, and, finally, food. They are super love bugs.
Yesterday, a man who works for the Boulder Community Hospital went out to check a building that is built on a slope. They seemed to be having plumbing problems; so the man climbed into the open space under the building to take a look. He heard a very loud growl, turned on his flashlight, and found that he was face-to-face with an adult black bear. The man left the vicinity quite rapidly. They drove the bear away by playing a loud recording of country music all night long, and the man was able to fix the pipes without the bear in attendance this morning.
And, it's now noon, 14 degrees out, with a wind chill of 5 degrees.... Stay warm!

No comments: