Friday, June 8, 2012

Baby Bun and the Belmont

Paul appeared at the Thore house last night at 8:30 - so I'm happy that I had already moved 90% of my stuff to Aiko and Yoshi's.  Lovey is sitting on the corner of my desk, talking away.  Poor thing, I was mean to her this morning.  She had been outside and came back in, and kept murmuring to me - normally, when I say her name, she hops onto the desk, but she didn't do that.  So after several "conversations" I looked down, and found that she was holding a live baby bunny by the scruff of the neck. I was "mean" to her by taking it away from her, checking it over, and turning it loose - while confining both kits inside.  The rabbits' fur was a little damp from kitty spit, but it was otherwise fine.  It certainly hauled tail to get away from me when I released it.
   I've had the small indoor fan on inside the apartment for the past 3 days.  It keeps the place from getting too warm, and Nedi likes to air his belly in front of it.  Since Paul arrived early, I've already fed and walked the Shih Tzus, had my own breakfast and meds, and have been home with the kits for over an hour.  I'll come back and see them again this afternoon.  I need to go walk Rosie and Remy and then I can collapse at Aiko and Yoshi's again.
   OK.  Tomorrow's Belmont Stakes; the last race in the Triple Crown series.  The last Triple Crown winner was Florida-bred Affirmed in 1978.  I'll Have Another will make his bid for American immortality tomorrow, facing ten other colts and one gelding.  All of the colts, except Atigun, are distantly related  to my horse.  Four of the horses are closely related: I'll Have Another, Optimzer, Union Rags and Unstoppable U.  Unstoppable U is the only grey/roan in the field, and there are four chestnuts.  My main choice is, of course, I'll Have Another - I think he can get the distance easily and I know he has the will to win.  Only two other horses have run in both previous Triple Crown races - Opitmizer and Union Rags.  Dullahan is back to run in the Belmont, having skipped the Preakness, after finishing third in the Derby. The nine "fresh" horses have a chance - the three Triple Crown races, with a spacing of 5 weeks demands a lot from the competitors.  For looks, I'd bet on Street Life, Atigun, and Dullahan.  If I were betting on jockeys, I'd bet on Paynter, Five Sixteen, and Guyana Star Dweej...  But this is my final pick:  I'll Have Another, Street Life, Paynter, Atigun, and Five Sixteen.   We'll see how my choices run tomorrow afternoon.
   Happy racing!  And have a great weekend!

No comments: