Saturday, June 16, 2012

A Grey Morning

It's grey and overcast outside at the moment - and we have a better than 50% chance of rain this afternoon.  I hope the rain happens, but without any lightning.  My kits are out playing in the back yard; and I'm getting ready to go to the Erie Farmer's Market.  My friend Nancy is the percissionist in a folk/rock band and they are on stage from 10 until noon today - I can't wait to hear them.  I've already fed and walked Rosie and Remy, and Barndi; I've fed and watered and cleaned potty boxes for Patches and Phoenix, and Sasquatch and Tugger.  This afternoon I have to check on Twister and Tinkerbell and gather the hens' eggs... 
   With the dampness in the air, I don't smell smoke for the first time in a week.  The High Park fire has spread to 54,230 acres, and is now about 20% contained.  It has cost over $9.1 million to fight this fire and protecet homes so far.  And the homes lost count has now been revised - back to above 100 homes; 112 to be exact.
The homes lost include: one each in Solider Canyon, Cloudy Pass and Picnic Rock; five in Pine Acres; 21 in Stratton Park; 17 in Poudre Canyon; three in Spring Valley; one on Old Flowers Road; 40 in Whale Rock, 12 in Paradise Park, two in Tip Top; and seven in Rist Canyon. I really feel for those folks and their families and pets...  It is such a beautiful area.  And it's sad that nature decided to clear out the understory with a wildfire ...
    Since Native Americans didn't really pay that much attention to the dates that white settlers used, I'm really not sure how historians can say this, but (supposedly) in 1829 today, the well-known Apache warrior Geronimo was born near the Gila River in New Mexico.  Of course, that area is also having terrible wildfire difficulties at this time.
    I hope everyone has a great weekend!

No comments: